Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a free antivirus program for 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a free antivirus program for 2012?

I've been using Avast! for the past few years and was happy with it. But the new version 7.0 is a real pain in the neck, blocking actions that I want to do on-line or off-line and if I turn off some of the new "features" it will nag me to reactivate them. I liked the lean and mean interface of the older versions which also did not use as much RAM.

Steve Ahola

P.S. Recommendations for paid programs would also be appreciated.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

I had a major problem with Avast and I'll never use it again.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Try MSE

Microsoft Security Essentials - it's okay (not great), free, and light on resources. It's actually not bad and mostly unobtrusive. I'm still using Avast, but I'm thinking of changing over because of the bloat and annoyances - if I wanted that, I would have stuck with AVG.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
        Microsoft Security Essentials - it's okay (not great), free, and light on resources. It's actually not bad and mostly unobtrusive. I'm still using Avast, but I'm thinking of changing over because of the bloat and annoyances - if I wanted that, I would have stuck with AVG.
        A client of mine who works with this kind of stuff recommended MSE too. Avast gave me 'false positives' and the software I use for work wouldn't load. Just about panicked with that happening.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

I like AVG and I've used the free version of AVG and liked the results. I liked it so much I ended up buying a license for it. Now, all of the computers in my home have AVG.

Comment

In addition to any antivirus software I always have spybot installed and have SD Resident running to blacklist processes that could run. I find that SD Resident detects many changes that occur and only when I accept the changes will the processes work. I built this computer in 2003 and originally ran windows 2000. I am now running XP (since 2006) and find that spybot is still my choice as a companion to any antivirus. I have never had a virus in almost a decade. I thought I had one at one point but it turned out to be a faulty power supply that I caught just in the nick of time!!

I am only running 26 processes and that is the key to a fast computer. How many processes is your computer running?
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

None. I use a software firewall (Outpost) and the NAT hardware firewall in my router. That keeps random things out. That coupled with smart computer usage (don't download things from suspect locations, email, etc), and I have been virus free for a long long time; measured in years.
              -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                That coupled with smart computer usage (don't download things from suspect locations, email, etc), and I have been virus free for a long long time; measured in years.
                Yeah, but that takes all of the fun out of computing!

Steve Ahola

P.S. I checked around and ended up paying $20.99 for a one year subscription for Avira (no not Alvira!). Funny thing- if you went to the site and clicked on Buy the price was $29.99. But if you clicked to download the free version you were then given a choice between that and the discounted price of $20.99 for the premium. Yes, I am a sucker for bargains- they get me every time with that crap!

One complaint: the download is only a loader that will install the program from the website (or an FTP site- I dunno.) I had already uninstalled Avast! and had turned off my connection to the internet (there is a standby button on the top of my Motorola gateway which I discovered by accident one night when I thought that the internet was down.) I did save the temporary install folder in case I need to reinstall it later.
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  Yeah, but that takes all of the fun out of computing!

Steve Ahola

P.S. I checked around and ended up paying $20.99 for a one year subscription for Avira (no not Alvira!). Funny thing- if you went to the site and clicked on Buy the price was $29.99. But if you clicked to download the free version you were then given a choice between that and the discounted price of $20.99 for the premium. Yes, I am a sucker for bargains- they get me every time with that crap!

One complaint: the download is only a loader that will install the program from the website (or an FTP site- I dunno.) I had already uninstalled Avast! and had turned off my connection to the internet (there is a standby button on the top of my Motorola gateway which I discovered by accident one night when I thought that the internet was down.) I did save the temporary install folder in case I need to reinstall it later.
                  For Anti Spyware, I still like the SUPERAntiSpyware, the free version.
                  It works great and be sure to do the check for updates right before you run it each time.
                  It downloads the latest Dat file when you do that.
                  The other thing I do, is run Firefox, with the AddBlock Plus addon.
                  I also run the Do not Track Addon.
                  Good Luck,
                  B_T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I was going to recommend the Avira free, so you did even better . The problem with the free is the pop up nag/ad that shows up everyday after the definition update. The paid does not have this problem.
                    The program itself is fairly easy to configure and use. There may be a few glitches, such as autoblock warnings, but they can be turned off. Also, you may get occasional false positives. Those I don't mind, better safe than sorry, and you can submit them for analysis anyway.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      For Anti Spyware, I still like the SUPERAntiSpyware, the free version.
                      It works great and be sure to do the check for updates right before you run it each time.
                      It downloads the latest Dat file when you do that.
                      The other thing I do, is run Firefox, with the AddBlock Plus addon.
                      I also run the Do not Track Addon.
                      Good Luck,

B_T

To these , one can add MalwareBytes Anti-Malware too .

Comment

Originally posted by sprocket View Post
                        To these , one can add MalwareBytes Anti-Malware too .
                        +1

That program has worked well for me too.
                        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                          +1

That program has worked well for me too.
                          Check Google too , have a look : Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on Download Page , also google Opt Out Plugin . http://tools.google.com/dlpage/optou....html?hl=en_US

Hope it will help some in here .

Comment

So is anybody here using FF 11.0? Version 10.0.0 was the buggiest program I have seen in a long time (I understand that the problems had something to do with Flash and plugin-container.exe.) Tech support at Mozilla recommended downgrading to an earlier version (3.5.10.)
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                              So is anybody here using FF 11.0? Version 10.0.0 was the buggiest program I have seen in a long time (I understand that the problems had something to do with Flash and plugin-container.exe.) Tech support at Mozilla recommended downgrading to an earlier version (3.5.10.)
                              Yep , I have FF 11 on right now , & it regularly shutdown , very annoying to say the least . I have IE9 too , so this one s more stable .

Comment

Working...
                              X