Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Recognize This Noble Amp from the 50s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1396 was available in '59, from what I can determine. This is a '57, at least based on the pot codes, so it's more likely the predecessor, a 1392.

Comment

Vintage Noble Amp

Judging by the numbers on the speaker it's an early sixties. Just had it cleaned, re-tubed and minor repair to input jack. Sounds really nice. No reverb but does have foot switchable Tremolo. You can also "jump the lead" using patch cable to connect the two channels. That really made a difference. Can control both volumes and tones. Very cool little amp. Bought it at vintage shop in VA about 10 years ago. If anyone knows anything more about it I would love to know. Don't know what variety it is, Magnatone or Ampeg. I am curious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	830859Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	830860Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	830861Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	830862Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	830863

Comment

@jp55, that's a Magnatone model. Don't get rid of that... it's worth a lot more than the others, particularly if the tremolo is actually a vibrato (raises and lowers the note frequency rather than the volume).

Comment

Cool man, thank you for the info. There wasn't much info available 10 or even 5 years ago. So this is really good to know. And as far as the Tremelo goes, I'm not really sure about whether its a vibrato or tremolo. The face plate says tremolo. There is a speed control knob and an intensity control knob. When I bought it the own of store (Action Music in Arlington VA) told me it was a 1958, but speaker doesn't support that. Perhaps the original owner swapped it out. I will make a video recording of the amp and upload it to YouTube then post the link

JP

Comment

Originally posted by jp55 View Post
            Cool man, thank you for the info. There wasn't much info available 10 or even 5 years ago. So this is really good to know. And as far as the Tremelo goes, I'm not really sure about whether its a vibrato or tremolo. The face plate says tremolo. There is a speed control knob and an intensity control knob. When I bought it the own of store (Action Music in Arlington VA) told me it was a 1958, but speaker doesn't support that. Perhaps the original owner swapped it out. I will make a video recording of the amp and upload it to YouTube then post the link

JP
            Hell yeah, that would be superb. I've attached a photo of my Noble just for reference, mine is based on a DanElectro 1392 from 1957. They varied so much over the years. There's another Magnatone based Noble on ebay right now for only $150, it's probably worth twice that and sounds ten times that.

Comment

Working...
            X