1961 fender concert conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 fender concert conversion.

Hey all. I'm looking into building cabinet that will house the electronics of a 1961 fender concert (black) amp head and a 12" speaker beneath it. Can anyone help me out with specs?
    Many thanks!

Hey everybody thanks for the input. Does this image help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0072.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	865332
    Last edited by Aquarover; 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM.

A '61 Concert would be brown.
    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Wouldn't you need to change the output transformer to match impedances?
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
        A '61 Concert would be brown.
        The OP is probably going by the faceplate since it's just a chassis.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Aquarover View Post
          Hey all. I'm looking into building cabinet that will house the electronics of a 1961 fender concert (black) amp head and a 12" speaker beneath it. Can anyone help me out with specs?
          Many thanks!
          Since there never was a 1x12 Concert I'm not sure what specs your asking for.?. AFAIK there aren't any specs for things that never were. LT makes a good point. Not many 2 ohm 12" speakers around. This is the kind of spec that is useful.

EDIT: There actually have been two 1x12 Concert amp designs. But niether was a "vintage" amp. One was the Concert II from the early 80's and the other is a mid 90's offering.
          Last edited by Chuck H; 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            The OP is probably going by the faceplate since it's just a chassis.

Both of my brownface Fenders have... brown faces.

A 4 x 10 brown Concert is a hell of a thing--currently my favorite amp. LOTS of bass response and I have no idea how that would translate to 12s.

If the OP clarifies things, I'd be happy to take a few minutes to measure my cab and relay the pertinent data. I have no idea if the later blackface 4 x 10 Concert had the same dimensions.

As others have said, the impedance issue will have to be addressed.
            Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

A '61 could have a black or brown faceplate according to Teagle and Sprung (FENDER AMPS book).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                A '61 could have a black or brown faceplate according to Teagle and Sprung (FENDER AMPS book).
                That's news to me! Never, ever seen a blackface before the '63 transitional "tuxedo" models.

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
                  That's news to me! Never, ever seen a blackface before the '63 transitional "tuxedo" models.
                  I've always lusted for an old brown 4x10 Fender Concert. Is there an accurate schematic and layout diagram out there with chassis and cabinet dimensions?

Comment

It took very little searching to find several examples of black faceplate brown tolex 1961 Concert amps. Here are two 1961 concert amps. One with a black faceplate/maroon cloth and one with a brown faceplate/wheat cloth.

EDIT: Aquarover, your amp amp looks to be what you think it is. But the head cabinet looks to be from a silver faced amp from a later era. The Concert was not offered as a head. It would be a good idea to check transformers and wiring to see if there are any circuit mods that would influence your goal.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Chuck H; 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Looks to me like its been recovered (incorrect style tolex) and the cloth had been replaced with SF style. The knobs are correct for a brown era amp tho...
                      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

+1 on the tolex. Even the grill cloth doesn't look to be exact for SF era. That is the old logo placard though. Probably from the original amp. My inclination would be to put it back into a 4x10 combo cab. (a little way down there is a '61 Concert cab with brown tolex and oxblood cloth)

VibroWorld Speaker Cabinets

Speaker cost makes the project expensive. But at $305 for a cab, $380 for speakers (Weber 10A125) and maybe another $100 in new filters, tubes and whatever, the project cost would be $785 for a '61 4x10 Concert! Totally worth it.

Comment

Here is a nice description of the different Concert amplifiers.
                          Link: Differences in Fender Concert 4x10 Amps - Premier Guitar

Comment

I don't think Aquarover is into conversations......1 post?
                            Anyway...just dado four 8-10" wide 3/4" pine boards and box joint them together around a 1/2" pine plywood speaker baffle. The dimensions will be determined by your chassis. The covering can be vinyl or tweed which is glued using contact cement.
                            Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                              I don't think Aquarover is into conversations......1 post?
                              Anyway...just dado four 8-10" wide 3/4" pine boards and box joint them together around a 1/2" pine plywood speaker baffle. The dimensions will be determined by your chassis. The covering can be vinyl or tweed which is glued using contact cement.
                              He/she did pop back in for an edit. So that's sort of two posts.

You describe cabinet building like you just pull the parts out of your pocket and connect A to B. I've built and covered cabinets. I'm a pretty handy and crafty guy too. It's not easy to do a nice job. In fact it's down right hard or impossible for someone who's never done it before. Add the expense of the lumber, corners, handle, grill cloth, misc. tools and materials for the project and I'm thinking that $305 is a pretty good price. IMHO unless you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, just enjoy a good project or already have a work space and tools for all the steps it just makes a lot more sense to buy a cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                              X