A hefty 12 VDC motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hefty 12 VDC motor

Being a consummate electronics junk collector, I purchased two of the motors linked below. The motor only spins in one direction on a DC supply, which leads me to believe that it is of the "universal" persuasion. While the motor is a little on the large side, it is a good deal on a product that was clearly designed back when the American consumer cared about quality.

Decent quality switching DC power supplies are available for under $100.00 (here's a 12VDC 20A switching power supply for $33.00 Buy.com - "DC 12V 20A 120W, AC 110V/220V Switching Power Supply for LED Strip Light"). If that figure is too rich for one's blood, one can always re-purpose an ATX power supply out of an old PC. Most ATX power supplies can supply +3.3VDC, +5VDC, and +/-12VDC (older ATX supplies also have a -5VDC supply). The +12VDC rail can usually source up to 20A of current. One will need to purchase or build a PWM-based motor speed controller. A simple PWM-based motor controller can be had for as little as $10.00 (12V-40V 10A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller w/ Knob - Free Shipping). If one has the requisite embedded systems design skills, a more elaborate PWM-based controller can be built using a microcontroller

Electric Motor 12 volts DC 2.1 amps 1500 RPM Universal | eBay
    Last edited by Tonestack; 04-21-2012, 01:51 PM.

1500 rpm is a little on the low size, my Adams Maxwell has four or five speed ranges, reversible motor. I'm not sure which speed range I'm on, plus I use a pot to control a higher speed setting down to more manageable speeds, but I'm not hand winding either. Maybe the hand winders can comment on speed range....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Fifteen hundred revolutions per minute (RPM) is more than fast enough for a homebrewed winder. Most people are using pulleys to divide 5000 RPM universal motors down to around 1000 RPM.

Comment

If you start with 1500 on the motor pulley, and then use a bigger pullyey on the spindle Shaft?
        Just an observation, but looks like it would get slow real fast? (No Pun intended)
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          If you start with 1500 on the motor pulley, and then use a bigger pullyey on the spindle Shaft?
          Just an observation, but looks like it would get slow real fast? (No Pun intended)
          T
          The reason why one uses a larger pulley on the bobbin shaft is to spin the bobbin shaft at a fraction of the speed of the motor shaft. At 1500 RPM, we can use direct drive, a 1:1 pulley arrangement, or go the other way and use an N:1 motor pulley-to-bobbin shaft pulley arrangement to spin the bobbin shaft at a multiple of the motor shaft speed. The motor has enough torque to easily spin the bobbin shaft at twice the speed of the motor shaft (i.e., 2:1 ratio). Three thousand RPM may not be that fast for a commercially-produced winder, but it is more than fast enough for a homebrewed winder.

Comment

A 12VDC motor like that should work fine for a winder. You don't even have to build an electronic controller if you don't want to. You can hook it up to a 12V battery with a pot (that's good for the current) inline and just dial it up and down.

I agree that 1500 rpm probably enough speed for your winder. That's as fast as I go on my semi-automatic machine. But, you can go faster if you want. The 1500 rpm spec is just the speed it will spin at 12V. Give it more voltage and it will go faster. Running it at a somewhat higher voltage isn't likely to hurt it, because you're going to be running it at very light load overall. I doubt that you'd hurt it at all running it at 24VDC, which would get you around 3000 rpm.

Comment

A simple PWM-based controller makes more sense with a DC motor this large. I may build a microcontroller-based motor controller for this project. The software required to generate a PWM signal is trivial to write, especially if one uses uses a timer interrupt-driven algorithm.

The motor should easily withstand 24VDC in this application. I currently have it hooked up to a 23A 13.8VDC switching power supply in my shop.

Comment

How about this.
                http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...motor/k166.htm
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

See "A Very Simple Controller" on this page:
                  http://www.4qdtec.com/pwm-01.html
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

4QD-TEC: PWM speed control
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                      4QD-TEC: PWM speed control
                      I love seeing oddball projects that use CMOS logic in creative ways. Granted, an inverter is really just inverting gain stage, but it was designed with saturation and cut-off use in mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X