Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst tube amp you've ever heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is why Fender bought SWR. I could be wrong, but I think a company like Mesa puts out a bass amp so they can say they have one. And one of their dealers will then have a bass amp to offer without bringing another brand into the store.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Maybe there's a reason that Ampegs outnumber Mesas and Fenders 100:1 or more on stages,all over the World
      Agreed!

Those grid circuit resistances are way outside of the SOA for a 6L6. So this makes me wonder ... Is Mesa making misteaks like this because they're just not very good at designing amps, because their schematic draftsman just doesn't pay attention to what he's doing (and got the value wrong on the schematic), or because they are intentionally publishing disinformation so that people who try to clone their amps will end up with a PoS when they're done? I doubt that they're crafty enough to publish disinformation, as it would only confuse their service people.

If they made the same mistake on the 400+ that they made on the 400 schematic, then the grid Z would be off by a factor of 6! I can't imagine that the amp would sound good if they did that. It would be interesting if someone who has one of these amps could take a peek and let us know what the values really are.
      Last edited by bob p; 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

• Worst for me was a Crate V18 tube amp

Sucked outright. Boomy Bass that you could only crack it open and even then it was insane to dial anything in even with new tubes. This amp was Cheaply build using wafer board and tolex very thin and you could break it real easy.
        Speaker was paper sounding too.
        In all..
        This amp is a great amp for someone who wants to do amp mods. I suggest mounting it to the bench and leaving it that way.
        Bugera 333XL 212 Combo 2009 Factory Mod KT-77"'s JJ ECC83S
        Roland Cube 20
        Schecter BlackJack SLS C1 SD Blackouts
        Martin DX1AE Acoustic
        Bad Monkey OD
        Line 6 M9 Stompbox
        Behringer EQ700
        Live Wire Cables

Comment

• A Bugera retro looking head. Simply horrible.
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
          X