Help with grounding scheme in 18 watt clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with grounding scheme in 18 watt clone

Hello! Iīm building my first amp, an 18 watt lite from scratch and Iīm using this layout:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	18wattLayoutactual2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	865345
    I donīt know if this grounding scheme is OK, Iīve seen many other grounding schemes in other 18 watt layouts, I have read many articles on grounding but I canīt really figure what scheme should use.
    Should I follow this layout or are better ways for gorunding in this amp?
    Thanks in advance!

It's better to ground all the power supply stuff to one side of the chassis. Close to the power transformer.
    Then ground the audio signals to the other side of the chassis. Far away from the power supply filter grounding.
    Otherwise you wind up with power supply hum in the signal path.
    The chassis acts as a resistor, so there is a couple ohms between the power supply ground and the signal ground. Less noise that way.
    In the past, people have used "star" grounding, connect ALL the grounds to one point. BUT there is more hum and noise if you do that.
    As the demand for lower noise increases, you will see manufacturers splitting the grounds into separate areas, and NOT connecting them together.

The FIRST ground is the safety earth, the green wire. This is attached to the chassis to make sure the chassis remains at 0 volts. This ground comes from your electrical receptacle.
    The second is the ground from the Power transformer (center tap) or the ground from the rectifier or power supply filter capacitors. This is the ground that you will keep away from the signal path ground. You are usually staking this to the chassis at the power transformer side, not the preamp side of the chassis...
    The third, your signal path ground (from the preamp) should be grounded on the other side, the preamp side of the chassis, away from the power supply grounds.

On your schematic, the power supply ground from the filter capacitors IS your preamp ground, (the green line), which is the worst way to do it, results in the most hum.

The input jack should be LIFTED off the chassis ground, using a plastic jack, or insulated washers. The input jack should be grounded to the (above mentioned) preamp grounding point, along with the preamp circuitry.
    Last edited by soundguruman; 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I agree with keeping the power grounding away from the preamp grounding.
      Not real fond of grounding all the pots together.
      I like the ground bus on the board, with a large bus wire.
      Here is a real good example of the bus wire, and separated grounds.
      Look at the layout on page 3.
      This is not your plan, but you can get ideas from it.
      http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/british18w_v14b.pdf
      Be careful not to have to many area grounds tied together, you end up with ground loops.
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks!
        On your schematic, the power supply ground from the filter capacitors IS your preamp ground, (the green line), which is the worst way to do it, results in the most hum.
        Thatīs was what I thougt it wasnīt right, it goes against everything I have read about grounding, but being my first build Iīm not so confident to go without asking first!
        Big_Teee, that layou is cool, I will use it as a guide to do the grounding in my amp, itīs basically the same, just less grounding wires in my amp.
        Just one more thing... I have the metal non isolated type input and output jacks, should isolate them or use them straight to the chassis without isolation?

Comment

Thanks!
          Thatīs was what I thougt it wasnīt right, it goes against everything I have read about grounding, but being my first build Iīm not so confident to go without asking first!
          Big_Teee, that layou is cool, I will use it as a guide to do the grounding in my amp, itīs basically the same, just less grounding wires in my amp.
          Just one more thing... I have the metal non isolated type input and output jacks, should isolate them or use them straight to the chassis without isolation?

Comment

Originally posted by Silvio55 View Post
            Thanks!

If you want to be Marshall Like!
            Marshall always uses insulated cliff jacks.
            Either should work, but with the insulated jack, you can put the ground where you want it.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

OK! I couldnīt get the insulated jacks around here, and the metal jacks seem more robust, I will use them but insulating them with some plastic or fiber bushing and some teflon tape.

Comment

I would just go ahead and let it ground to the chassis.
                Your going to ground the preamp Ground bus on that end of the chassis anyway.
                I think that will work ok.
                Or, you may try it both ways.
                Good Luck,
                Terry
                Terry

Comment

Yeah, but I have two inputs, I can just put one jack grounded to the chassis, no both I think (that would be a ground loop, wouldnīt it?), and the speaker jacks must also be insulated from the chassis, or I can also ground them to the chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by Silvio55 View Post
                    Yeah, but I have two inputs, I can just put one jack grounded to the chassis, no both I think (that would be a ground loop, wouldnīt it?), and the speaker jacks must also be insulated from the chassis, or I can also ground them to the chassis?
                    That's not the best layout.
                    Don't even see the OT and the output jacks on that diagram.
                    This is a fairly basic amp, and not a real high gain amp.
                    I think you will be fine to chassis ground the Output and input jacks.
                    Since you are going to separate the Preamp and power grounds, I would try that first.
                    Good Luck,
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Yes, that layout kinda sucks, but it was the only one I could find for an 18 watt lite, not the liteIIb version (my idea is to make a single channel version of the 18 watt with no changes or tweeks, just like the original). I found this one, I think itīs a lot better:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	BN LITE2B LAYOUT.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	750.6 KB
ID:	824887
                      Itīs a liteIIb but itīs almost the same after all, just changing some values and thatīs it.
                      By the way, this layout shows uninsolated output jacks, donīt know if itīs just the drawings or that means that you have to (or can) use those kind of jacks.

Comment

If the Ceritone layouts are still up they work well. Also, a tightly twisted filament dress run along the back edge of the chassis helps a lot for hum reduction. You might want to see if 18watt.com is accepting members. They have a lot of archive stuff specific to 18 watt builds.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                          If the Ceritone layouts are still up they work well. Also, a tightly twisted filament dress run along the back edge of the chassis helps a lot for hum reduction. You might want to see if 18watt.com is accepting members. They have a lot of archive stuff specific to 18 watt builds.
                          Here we go again!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            Here we go again!
                            T
                            Here's the Ceritone TMB Layout:
                            http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPi...Bceriatone.jpg
                            It is tried and true. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Do not use Switchcraft style jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                              Here's the Ceritone TMB Layout:
                              http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPi...Bceriatone.jpg
                              It is tried and true. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Do not use Switchcraft style jacks.
                              I was referring to the 18watt.com and the new members.
                              If you remember I never could get my coronation, or blessed by 18watt with a membership.
                              Which isn't a big deal cause I always build 50 Watt Amps with EL34s.
                              Back to the Thread, the Brown Note Liteiib looks good, but I don't see any shielded inputs with 68 k resistors.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X