Silvertone 1484 bring your tone alive and improved reverb mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1484 bring your tone alive and improved reverb mods

Hello, I'd like to share some things I learned by experimentation with my Silvertone 1484 amp. I have not seen my particular modding approach to improving the 1484's previously unusable verb else where, not saying it hasn't been done just that I haven't seen it. The verb isn't exactly fantastic sounding now but it's at least usable, and better than stock IMO.

My 1484 was pretty sad before, burned output transformer, light rust all over the face plate, cabinet is wasted, but the chassis is very clean cosmetic wise. I installed an output transformer from a 50 watt vintage Randal amp. The transformer actually says "engineering sample" on it written in felt, so I have no idea who actually made it, but the measured impermanence was pretty close to the stock one so I tried it and it sounds fantastic.

Next came a complete filter cap and diode job. I got extremely lucky and found a NOS Aerovox can cap on ebay that was very close spec wise to the stock one, and exactly the same size physically, and I used 150 mf CDE's for the rest including the bias cap, and beefy 600V 3 amp diodes.

I sell vacuum tubes on ebay and as such I have access to a large collection of tubes of all makers to experiment with, and so my approach naturally went this direction and I experimented with anything that would swap in as far as brand and type, and this is what I found.

On this amp the following tubes will work in any of the preamp positions 12AT7, 6201, 12AU7. 5814, 5963, 12AX7, 5751 in order more or less from the least to most gain, and I tried them all in both V1 and V2. The results IMO were that Telefunkin 12AX7s in both positions provided the best sound as far as detail and timbre, or a Telefunkin in V1 and an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in V2 for a warmer tone, your mileage may vary.

Then I did some research and found out that a few cats were experimenting with the somewhat rare 12BZ7 tube for it's increased gain in the V1 position. So I managed to find just one, a Sylvania grey plate in my collection, and brother that was a big improvement. I then bought a black plate NOS Tung Sol but returned to the Sylvania. More gain and better tone all the way around than stock.

I followed the BZ7 with a Telfunkin smooth plate in V2 and black plate RCA 6CG7's along with an RCA black plate 12AX7 in the tremelo. Note that there is a slight raising of the noise floor with the BZ7 , but it was not objectionable IMO. For output tubes a Pair of NOS metal RCA 6L6 tubes hands down blew away everything else I tried. Nothing like 1940's vintage tubes. The detail, presence and timbre these tubes provide has to be heard. Simply amazing tone with a Strat which is the only ax I've tried on it.

Now onto the reverb. What I did here was use an RCA 12DW7, which is half 12AX7 and half 12AU7 in one tube. This worked very well because the 12AX7 triode is the verb input and the 12AU7 is the output which substantially lowered the gain of the circuit and that allows you to be able to crank the pot up to a much more usable level before it takes off into trash land. Then on a whim I mounted my reverb tank upside down on top of the springs instead of underneath thinking that since the springs hung one way since the 60's maybe with gravity pulling the other direction might change the sound, so i tried it and that was a further improvement.

Before the reverb was completely unusable, and after I use a little all the time now, and even with heavy stompbox distortion it sounds good. The tremelo on this amp sounds like God too BTW.

All I can say is try it you'll like it!
    Last edited by Silvertone Jockey; 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Unless your 1484 has been highly modified, it does not have a spring reverb (or at least I have never seen a stock one with a spring reverb). It has a piezo modual that most believe sound horrid by nature. I will try the tube substitution you recommend because balancing the gain makes sense. But there are no springs involved.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      Unless your 1484 has been highly modified, it does not have a spring reverb (or at least I have never seen a stock one with a spring reverb). It has a piezo modual that most believe sound horrid by nature. I will try the tube substitution you recommend because balancing the gain makes sense. But there are no springs involved.
      My bad, by spring I meant the piece of spring steel the tank is mounted to

Comment

Well... I think it does have what you could call a spring reverb tank.
        It was a finely wound, short piece of what looks like a cheap screen door spring with the piezo crystals pinched in between the last windings on each end.... driving the crystal on one end with audio, the jiggling spring squeezes the juice out of the crystal on the other end, which is then amplified as reverb.. horrible... yup, some say so!
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          Well... I think it does have what you could call a spring reverb tank.
          It was a finely wound, short piece of what looks like a cheap screen door spring with the piezo crystals pinched in between the last windings on each end.... driving the crystal on one end with audio, the jiggling spring squeezes the juice out of the crystal on the other end, which is then amplified as reverb.. horrible... yup, some say so!
          Yeah Bruce. I guess you're correct. But it isn't a spring tank like a Fender or anyone else really and is tiny. I wonder if a better tank could be made using the crystals and a different arrangement or even adapting a Beltron reverb module to stick in it's place?

Comment

Yeah Bruce. I guess you're correct. But it isn't a spring tank like a Fender or anyone else really and is tiny. I wonder if a better tank could be made using the crystals and a different arrangement or even adapting a Beltron reverb module to stick in it's place?
            I just made a new head and added a Fender tank and reverb circuit to my brother's, along with many other mods. Sounds much better now!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
              I just made a new head and added a Fender tank and reverb circuit to my brother's, along with many other mods. Sounds much better now!

Greg
              That sounds like a lot of work my friend. Probably better to build or buy a Fender from the start. But if something could be devised that just plugged into the reverb moduals inscertion points it might be worth the trouble. Seems like you could use the signal that drives the crystal to input a Beltron IC and match the output to the other side as well. It wouldn't be hard to find something to source the DC supply somewhere. Going to have to think about it. I have a 1484 I'm about to restore. It would be a digital reverb, but so what.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of work my friend. Probably better to build or buy a Fender from the start. But if something could be devised that just plugged into the reverb moduals inscertion points it might be worth the trouble. Seems like you could use the signal that drives the crystal to input a Beltron IC and match the output to the other side as well. It wouldn't be hard to find something to source the DC supply somewhere. Going to have to think about it. I have a 1484 I'm about to restore. It would be a digital reverb, but so what.
                Yeah it was a heck of a lot of work. In short, I redid the preamp and reverb tube order to get better straight line signal flow, added an EF86 and cathode follower to channel 1, revoiced channel 2 for a bit more gain, revoiced the tone stack on channel 2 so it worked with the increased gain, added Fender reverb, made reverb and trem work on both channels (differently than Fender so the trem and reverb work after the first stage for more depth), voltage doubled the bias supply, moved the screen tap one section up on the main supply doubler and added a RC filter section so it will put out a little more power (30w RMS vs the 25w RMS stock), elevated the heaters for reduced hum, used shielded cable for grid leads throughout...etc. It sounds fantastic and unique, but was way too much work and I won't do it again...haha. My brother is happy with it though and uses it all the time. I wouldn't have gone to such trouble on it but it needed an overhaul and was missing the reverb so we figured why not.

I have a completely stock one that I overhauled the caps on. I still need to replace some resistors and get it working without oscillation, but on this one the reverb even works! One of these days I'll finish it....

Greg

Comment

Hmmmmm....cheap spring and 2 piezo elements....possibly a mini-reverb for 386/Smoky amps...must resist the urge to blow off work and experiment....

Comment

Man I picked up a silver face bandmaster reverb and I have to say, the 1484 holds it's own in comparison. I really appreciate the Silvertone more now, even the verb sounds good on mine and an update on that is that I'm now using a 12AU7 in the verb slot. Still love the 12BZ7 in the V1 slot on both amps.

The killer tone though is running these amps in stereo (mono tied together from the fender's inputs) Awesome sounding! I'm going to experiment running the 1484 verb return into the normal channel which would then give a reverb send and a separate reverb return with a tone stack, being as the verb control on the 1484 is on the input side. It works on fenders so it should work on the 1484 as well. Will update with results once that happens, till then may the jams be with you

Comment

Working...
                    X