Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ampeg V4B - How much buzz is acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V4B - How much buzz is acceptable?

I am working on an Ampeg V-4B amp that has has a buzzing sound from the speaker when no audio input is applied. What is the typical amount of buzzing sound that should be heard when the amp is idling with no input? Also, what is the preferred way to quantify the amount of buzzing from this amp?

Are you talking about buzz or hum? To me buzz sounds like fizzy, higher frequency noise, while hum is smoother and lower in freq. There should be little or no buzz at idle, with no input cord and volumes down.

Do any of the controls effect the buzz? Check the filament ground control (hum balance)? Input jack grounding contact? Tubes?

Comment

Yes, it is a "buzz" sound. Looking at an oscilloscope, connected to the output, the waveform is jagged and does not look smooth (as does a sign wave). However, the jagged waveform seems to be 60Hz. I will check the filament ground control (hum balance). By the way, the .047 cap (AKA death cap) has been removed, probably when the three wire power cord was added (with ground). For what it's worth, the input jack grounding contact is good and the tubes seem fine.

Additionally, all of the controls seem to have a small effect on the "buzz". It would be best described as a very subtle "wow pedal" change when the tone controls are adjusted.

Comment

Working...
      X