power transformer with no bias tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power transformer with no bias tap

I'm scratch building a 50 W Plexi from a Hoffman board and would like to use a 50W Marshall (800)replacement power transformer that I have.Problem is that it has no bias tap.Is there any way I can use this transformer?I'm using a full wave bridge rectifier .
    Please keep it simple and detailed as this is my first build.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by tboy; 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM.

there is an existing thread devoted to this topic. try the search feature and you should find it with no problems.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Thank you for your help Bob but the search did not come up with anything relavent to this build.Could you be more specific or just help me out.Sorry if this is redundant.

Comment

The thread is here:
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ead.php?t=2545
        Since you are using a bridge recto, you will need to use a capacitive voltage divider circuit ala Ampege style. There is a link in the thread to an example.
        Tom
        Last edited by tboy; 05-10-2007, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fiesta55 View Post
          I'm scratch building a 50 W Plexi from a Hoffman board and would like to use a 50W Marshall (800)replacement power transformer that I have.Problem is that it has no bias tap.Is there any way I can use this transformer?I'm using a full wave bridge rectifier .
          Please keep it simple and detailed as this is my first build.
          Thank you.
          Yeah, in principle you can. If the HT taps on the PT secondary are centre tapped you can build a bias circuit using one half of that winding. It'll work like the JTM 45 bias circuit.

Comment

Working...
          X