Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ kit

Hi everyone

I am looking at my first build and figgured I'd start with a kit build of a champ or something similar. Just wondering what people have had good luck with, and if there are any makers to avoid. I should note that I am only looking to build a head, as I'll already have a cab built. I've been trying to read anything I can get my hands on, and I'm wondering if components of the champ are underbuilt and should be beefed up a bit. Are there problems with the design that are simply getting copied in the kits? I was also wondering what the pros and the cons are of the 5e1 and the 5f1 circuits.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the build and the learning. Thanks for any information you can give me.

A Champ is quite a basic circuit and should be excellent for a first project. Your biggest risk, I think, is that it'll give you a taste for more and you'll wish you had done something more complicated and "ideal" the first time around - but that's why there are SECOND projects!

You've already found yourself a good place to ask any questions that come up, so you are bound to get a good final result.

Part of the mojo of a small amp like the Champ is pushing components like the output transformer and its small speaker to their limits (and beyond.) I wouldn't say it'd improve matters to operate beefier parts within their spec'ed limits.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the tip about components. Do you have any recomendations on a good place to buy champ kits from? Or any to avoid?

I have no doubt that I'll end up with a second project, and a third project, and a fourth project, etc. I already want to build a Gilmore Jr, and a Baby Bluesbreaker. I've got to slow myself down a bit before I get too carried away.

Comment

Hey Blueguitar!

Yes, a Champ is a great start. My first three builds were "champ like" circuits. I opted for ordering the parts separately rather than buying kits but I'd already refurbished a bunch of old amps by the time I built my own.

If I were going to buy a kit, I'd probably check out Hoffman Tube amp parts, Guitar Tube amplifier building supplies, Tube amp Information, Guitar amp parts, Weber Weber Amplifier Kits and Mission Mission Amps Guitar Amp Kits Page.

I'm sure you'll get many good suggestions here and everyone here is very knowledgeable and helpful!

BTW, where are you in Alberta? I'm in Edmonton!

Comment

Hey, thanks for the links Jag. I'll check them out. I'm in Lethbridge. I used to live in Edmonton though. Still got family and friends up there. Good to see another Ablertan on here.

Comment

Originally posted by blueguitar View Post
            Do you have any recomendations on a good place to buy champ kits from? Or any to avoid?
            I've always built from scratch, using parts suppliers like Angela Instruments, Triode Electronics, Mouser and Digi-Key. The best part of kit building is not having to build a chassis - that is not usually much fun, for me. I did have a great time building a small combo cab, but at that moment I had the use of a decent woodshop, which I do not have now.

Angela Instruments' web site, used to have a list of parts (a Bill Of Materials or BOM is what that's often called) for a Champ-based project. It's no longer hosted there, but there is an archive of the info here:
            Angela Single 6V6

(in the description, I notice Steve disagrees with my statement above, about undersized transformers, and recommends using a heftier one than the original Champ.!)

Comment

here's a BOM for Champ:

Boot Hill Amps

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
                here's a BOM for Champ:

Boot Hill Amps
                While I've not built one of his kits, I can say I've talked to him on the phone and he's a super nice knowledgable guy. He also has lots of happy customers on another forum!

Comment

Working...
                X