Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Solder Fume Extractor (Comic Relief)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Solder Fume Extractor (Comic Relief)

Have a gander at my DIY soldering fume extractor, every bit as effective as the expensive commercial models!

If there were a general Beginners' Corner, I would have posted this there.

The activated charcoal filter came from a tropical fish store; the louver is a flower pot from Dollar Tree, and the adjustable base once housed a flood lamp and rotating color wheel for illuminating aluminum Christmas trees.

Have fun,
    -rb
    Attached Files
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Oh I love that kind of silly Rube Goldberg stuff...find attached a crawlspace ventilation fan I put together after our addition was built. It originally was a temporary measure for when I found a commercial grade fan to use. It worked so well (silly as it looks) I just left it that way. It's over 10yrs later now.

About every 3-4yrs or so I have to clean the fan & lube the bushings and about every 5yrs sometimes I have to replace it. I go to the thrift store & buy another fan for $2.00 & good for another 5yrs!

glen
    Attached Files

Comment

that's a great kluge! FYI range hood charcoal filters make good extractors mated to a couple "muffin" fans

never used though; the charcoal gets saturated with grease/smoke asap in a typical kitchen!

Comment

AH, you sissy kids. Be a man, just inhale the stuff. Makes your lungs easier to solder.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

true, Enzo, the Pb content of the smoke is pretty damn low, its the rosin that's bad for you, kinda like its the Tylenol that kills Vicodin addicts..

Comment

Did you steal that prototype from Dyson?

Comment

I agree with Enzo, just suck it up!
              Actually, I've been casting lead bullets for years, so a little solder fumes is nothing. I do have a fan blowing air into the garage, while the casting pot is near the big door.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                Did you steal that prototype from Dyson?
                Shhh! I've heard they're quite litigious.
                -rb
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
                  Actually, I've been casting lead bullets for years,
                  I used to cast lead fishing weights on the kitchen stove. When I was a dumb kid.

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
                  so a little solder fumes is nothing.
                  As has been mentioned, it's not the solder fumes that'll get ya- it's the flux fumes.
                  I've also done some stained glass work; I think that flux is a bit more noxious than rosin.

-rb
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                  X