Bucker bobbin mount screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucker bobbin mount screws?

I keep looking for top quality bucker bobbin mount screws, brass round head, phillips #2 x1/2" long. Did Microfasteners screws ever get any better? The phillips recess in those was always so shallow the heads would strip out real easy and I"d throw half of them away. I've found a little better ones but am looking for something like we used to make IN AMERICA, damnit!!!!
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Originally posted by Possum View Post
    I keep looking for top quality bucker bobbin mount screws, brass round head, phillips #2 x1/2" long. Did Microfasteners screws ever get any better? The phillips recess in those was always so shallow the heads would strip out real easy and I"d throw half of them away. I've found a little better ones but am looking for something like we used to make IN AMERICA, damnit!!!!
    Are these #2 wood screws, or #2 machine screws? There is a difference.

If brass #2 wood screws, there are many sources, and if you are stripping the philips recess, perhaps the screwholes need to be drilled a tad larger.

You might do better with stainless steel #2 screws. Stainless steel (except knife steels like 440) is nonmagnetic, and far stronger than brass.

Comment

They are wood screws and yes there are many sources for really poorly made ones, all from China. No, the ones from Microfasteners had super shallow phillips slots, they were awful and I bought about 8 different screw drivers looking for something that would dig into them but they were all made in China too, the screws were just horrible, some of them the heads snapped off as well, the Microfasteners were the worst of the Chinese ones, I found better but am looking something high quality. Montreaux's are pretty darn good but still not old time American quality. If you get get a bucker from the 80's or a real PAF bucker the screws on those have deeply recessed phillips slots very precisely made, put them side by side with your average Chinese equivalent its pretty disgusting how you can't buy good screws like those anymore. If I switch I'll use steel like a few PAF's in the '61 era occasionally used, but nicely aged brass just looks right. I found a photo I did of American vintage vs. Chinese modern, note how the American threads are real nice, I should have shot the head slots too you would see a vast difference there, at least here's also a shot of a vintage US screw head, very nicely formed with deep slot.....
      Attached Files
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I agree that the brass Microfastner screws are poorly made, and have shallow heads.
        I intend to do like Joe Suggests and go to stainless screws, my next buy.
        I heard that the ADFX brass screws were better, but I haven't tried them.
        Stainless should be the way to go.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

The screw on the top is the new screws they started using some time last year (last summer i think ?)
          The one on the bottom is the old one
          The new type looks a little smaller & the thread is coarser
          I like the new screws better but i don't tighten very tight ,unlike the old screws,which i had to screw in with a bit of liquid soap to help them in & I can take them out without striping the heads
          After collecting a bunch of screwdrivers that don't fit properly ...This is the only one i have ever found that fits properly

It's in a set just like this one
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post

The screw on the top is the new screws they started using some time last year (last summer i think ?)
            The one on the bottom is the old one
            The new type looks a little smaller & the thread is coarser
            I like the new screws better but i don't tighten very tight ,unlike the old screws,which i had to screw in with a bit of liquid soap to help them in & I can take them out without striping the heads
            After collecting a bunch of screwdrivers that don't fit properly ...This is the only one i have ever found that fits properly

It's in a set just like this one
            Good Pictures.
            I use a small Cordless drill and a #1 bit, to put the screws in with.
            I tighten loosely with the drill then snug them by hand.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Hi All

I don´t know what the problem is Montreaux screws are nice also these look pretty good
              #2-26 x 1/2" Phillips Round Head Wood Screw, Brass | Fastenal
              I´m in Austria and finding Philips head screws is difficult but in the USA you should have no problems finding these. Or Here

Brass Phillips Round Head Wood Screws - Mutual Screw & Supply
              Cheers

Andrew
              Last edited by the great waldo; 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM. Reason: missed a bit

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                Hi All

I don´t know what the problem is Montreaux screws are nice also these look pretty good
                #2-26 x 1/2" Phillips Round Head Wood Screw, Brass | Fastenal
                I´m in Austria and finding Philips head screws is difficult but in the USA you should have no problems finding these.

Cheers

Andrew
                At 26-1/2 Cents a piece, I will glue the bobbin to the base plate first!
                T
                Terry

Comment

These are cheaper
                  http://www.mutualscrew.com/product/b...rews-63529.cfm

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    super shallow phillips slots, they were awful and I bought about 8 different screw drivers looking for something that would dig into them
                    Dumb question, but this has bothered me for a long while.
                    How can this situation exist? Why don't my screwdrivers ever match my screw heads?
                    Aren't there industry and/or government standards for phillips head slot depth and pitch?
                    If not, why not? There seem to be standards for everything else in the world.
                    If the standards do exist, doesn't anyone follow them?

-rb
                    Last edited by rjb; 05-07-2012, 09:09 PM.
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

These are the ones I plan on trying next time I order from Micro Fastners!
                      I know the PAF Gang would rather Die first, but they should be much the improvement over the antiquated Brass Screws.
                      T

SMPPS0208 100 #2 x 1/2 stainless $ 4.50
                      Terry

Comment

Would it help if you pre-tapped the holes so that you aren't trying to drive the screws in so hard? If I'm worried about making a screw head look ugly, that is always where my first thoughts go. It is pretty easy to screw something in with little damage if threads are already there. A tap would probably be cheaper than buying a whole mess of screws that you won't ever be able to use.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                          Would it help if you pre-tapped the holes so that you aren't trying to drive the screws in so hard? If I'm worried about making a screw head look ugly, that is always where my first thoughts go. It is pretty easy to screw something in with little damage if threads are already there. A tap would probably be cheaper than buying a whole mess of screws that you won't ever be able to use.
                          Where do you get a tap for a wood type screw?
                          I have machine screw taps? WTF?
                          But, I've lived under a rock most of my life maybe they make wood screw taps?
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Aren't the thread dimensions the same? It may not be the most ideal solution, but I imagine it would work, no?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                              Aren't the thread dimensions the same? It may not be the most ideal solution, but I imagine it would work, no?
                              The threads are much coarser on a self tapping wood screw, than on a #2 machine screw.
                              The solution is a better screw, of maybe a different brand.
                              Like Possum said early the Micro brand screw has that very shallow head.
                              Copper said it has changed, not sure if they fixed it or not.
                              I have the old ones.

T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X