Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noval / Octal Adapter

Hi all,

I'd like to put together an adapter so I can plug a 6SL7 in place of a 12AX7/5751. I can find sockets all over the place, but I can't seem to locate noval plugs. Does anyone know of a source for these? And does anyone have any experience building an adapter like this?

I appreciate any help.

Nine pin plugs are hard to find - but, AES at one time had "socket savers," or some such, which were a nine pin socket and a nine pin plug with a long screw designed to plug into a marginal chassis socket. One the "saver" was in place the screw held it there to save the existing socket. I've bought these and removed the plug part. Also if you haunt some old TV repair shops Zenith produced a line of plug in metal can ICs - 8 pin - that used a wafer base 9 pin plug for early 1970s TVs. If a service shop has these in some obscure parts bin they will probably give 'em to you.

Rob

Comment

They do indeed have them...I'll give that a try. Thanks. Anyone tried this before?

Comment

the soldano 'hot mod' was a device to use a 12 pin triple triode tube in a 9 pin dual triode socket (add again stage). he used potting compound to mate the 12 pin socket and the 9 pin base.

Comment

Haven't seen that "hot mod" before...very interesting.

I ordered a couple of "socket savers," few different spec octal sockets and some heavy-duty heat-shrink end caps (1" shrunk dia. X 1/8" thick wall). I figure that and a little epoxy should be sturdy enough.

Comment

Working...
          X