Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new source for clear Tele rhythm covers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new source for clear Tele rhythm covers...

GJ has apparently switched to a different supplier for Tele rhythm covers. Tried one last night and they are the worst tone-killers yet.

What a shame -- they were selling the best covers I'd ever heard. Anybody know who's left that makes a clear one?

forgive me for asking, but how does a clear plastic cover kill the tone?

Comment

Clear plastic covers have no effect on tone, you're right. But these are apparently chrome-plated brass rather than the nickel-silver they're supposed to be.

Comment

ok, I misunderstood the use of "clear".

Comment

and they don't meet the tele specs, tele have ~0.557" height and GJ have 0.6325"

Comment

I talked to Pat over there and told him they aren't nickel silver and don't look anything like what he has pictured on the site -- which is the great covers he used to have. He said he'll look into it and had me send these crummy ones back so they're in the mail to him now.

Comment

I've ordered from GJ 3 or 4 times now and not a single transaction has gone smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                I've ordered from GJ 3 or 4 times now and not a single transaction has gone smoothly.
                No news there. We've all sure had our problems. It would be a lot easier if the parts I want from them weren't so good.

By the way, out of desperation I tried the "slit" idea last night, where you cut a vertical slit in the cover to break up the "eddy current loop" for lack of a better term. There was a very slight improvement but not nearly enough to take the pu out of Mudsville. I know it's not the pickup itself because I put it back in the Tele without a cover on it and sounds like the air on a chilly October morning smells -- fresh, sweet and clear.

Either I find some righteous Tele covers or I sell them "nude-only" from now on. Which means I won't sell near as many, but my name is not going out on any muddy-sounding pu.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                  No news there. We've all sure had our problems. It would be a lot easier if the parts I want from them weren't so good.

By the way, out of desperation I tried the "slit" idea last night, where you cut a vertical slit in the cover to break up the "eddy current loop" for lack of a better term. There was a very slight improvement but not nearly enough to take the pu out of Mudsville. I know it's not the pickup itself because I put it back in the Tele without a cover on it and sounds like the air on a chilly October morning smells -- fresh, sweet and clear.

Either I find some righteous Tele covers or I sell them "nude-only" from now on. Which means I won't sell near as many, but my name is not going out on any muddy-sounding pu.
                  Wow Zhang, sorry to hear about your troubles, I am fighting the same battle and losing as well. I guess the cover I had that I cut may have been a different type metal?? I tried it with another cover and got the same thing you did, mud city. Back to the old drawing board. Its a real shame we cant get decent parts, for me at least it is no way I can have my own made so what is one to do? I think I found a good wind to compensate almost but not where I want it. If they wanted just good enough I guess they could buy stock fender stuff. I wont let it go out the door like that and theres the kicker, what to do about orders that need filling when the good covers ran out and all you can get is the crap brass stuff? Hell most all the money you made went back into parts, so a refund is out of the question

Comment

vintage...

Weren't vintage tele covers brass with plating? You telling me you can't make a good sounding vintage tele neck :-)
                    http://www.SDpickups.com
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                      Weren't vintage tele covers brass with plating? You telling me you can't make a good sounding vintage tele neck :-)
                      Hi Possum, I can make a good one and no one would probably say a word and think it sounds great but I have a certain tone in my head that the brass cover wont let me get, or at least until last night anyway. I did find a pretty damn good wind so I hope i'm covered on the covers I just hope I dont have to reformulate my winding with some new covers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                        Try making more slits. For instance, make a cut along the top breaking the 5 webs between the 6 magnet holes.

It also matters exactly where and in what direction the slits. If you publish a picture, I may think of something else to try.

Comment

vintage...

one of the best tele necks I've heard has a brass cover and is in an original 51 Nocaster. But yeah it sucks that the parts guys have no idea what kind of crap they are selling. I ordered nickel silver tele covers from AllParts awhile back and guess what, to them nickel silver means chrome plated, yes they ARE that stupid. No one has the nickel silver ones anymore, its like they are all using one source in Korea or something and their source changes the products the guys over here don't have a clue....
                          http://www.SDpickups.com
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

sounds like one of you need to find someone to manufacture them. either that or more or less boycott purchasing them in a way that you can include as many winders as possible to get them to do the proper thing.

Comment

I seem to recall Andrew c mentioning he had them , but i can't seem to get a reply from him regarding them???

Mick

Comment

Working...
                              X