Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1018 Bar Steel Source? (Thin...like .090" - .1" thick?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1018 Bar Steel Source? (Thin...like .090" - .1" thick?)

Might have to have this machined, but I'm looking for 1018 steel bar that is .090" - .1" thick x 2.5" long (height not yet determined).

Thanks,
    Dave

That thin it's probably not going to be in flat bar but sheet form
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Good point. That gives me something to look into. Thanks.

Comment

That's an AISI designation, which may give you a dead end if you look for it in sheet stock (I'm not finding anything, some say it's not made into sheet, but I'm not convinced yet). That nominal chemical composition ( 0.15-0.20 C, 0.60-0.90 Mn, balance Fe) is covered by many ASTM and MIL standards, you may have luck looking up the material under that designation. This site lists many of the ASTM specs it's covered under: http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/1018.asp The title will tell you if the spec covers sheet material forms. It will say something like "standard specification for cold rolled sheet" or "standard specification for hot rolled picked and oiled sheet". Material spec land is a vast and deep hole, don't get lost.
        -Mike

Comment

Pretty sure McMaster-Carr has .1" thick sheet....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

You can buy 3/32"x 1" 1018 in bar stock.
            It is .09375" thick.
            McMaster-Carr
            Good Luck,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

SHeet stock comes in .020" increments so .040, .060, .080" and .100. Someone with a BIG Pexto sheer should be able slice it up in whatever dimensions you need.

Comment

One of the best deals for cutting steel is Micromark's little steel cutting band saw. I've had mine 9 years now and never a problem. It will also cut tile or rock with the added wet cutting attachment and diamond band saw blade. The blades they sell are crap but you can probably have them made for lapidary work. I my steel cutting blades made for me cut to the size for the machine, these are made in Japan and great quality.
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  SHeet stock comes in .020" increments so .040, .060, .080" and .100. Someone with a BIG Pexto sheer should be able slice it up in whatever dimensions you need.
                  Where did you hear that? Sheet material is sold by gauge thickness and is dependent on the material. This can be confirmed by other sources, but Wiki is easiest: Sheet metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  -Mike

Comment

Post Deleted.
                    Last edited by Bruce Johnson; 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Don't believe everything you read on Wiki.
                      If there's one thing this forum is famous for, it's people not reading and comprehending the entire post before replying with some snide remark. As a return of the snide favor, please allow me to point this out for you a little more clearer this time:
                      This can be confirmed by other sources, but Wiki is easiest
                      I don't believe everything on Wiki. Oh, and I was working from personal experience too, you're not the only person here who works with metal on a daily basis.
                      -Mike

Comment

I think I found what I needed at McMaster-Carr. Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                        X