Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these magnets going to be strong enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these magnets going to be strong enough?

Hey guys. Just wanted to check with you before I take the plunge and order these mags. Just need to know your opinion as to whether or not they will be strong enough to charge Alnico Bar magnets. K&J Magnetics - Products

Let me know what you think, and thanks as always!!

John

Two will probably get the job done but I'd get 4 just for kicks. I can't believe how much prices have risen in the last years. Those used to cost about $4-5 ea.

Comment

Two should do it. I use 4 smaller magnets (2" x 1/4") and get a full charge.

Watch your fingers!
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by John Carlsen View Post
        Hey guys. Just wanted to check with you before I take the plunge and order these mags. Just need to know your opinion as to whether or not they will be strong enough to charge Alnico Bar magnets. K&J Magnetics - Products

Let me know what you think, and thanks as always!!

John
        John:
        Did you see these.
        They appear to be much cheaper, and they charge $5 Shipping.
        products_id_57 | Rare Earth Magnets 2 in x 1/2 in x 1/2 in Neodymium Block - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines
        I haven't ordered from them, but if you will, we will know?
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Two should do it. I use 4 smaller magnets (2" x 1/4") and get a full charge.

Watch your fingers!
          David, you are so right on that point. I used to use neos to charge my magnets and the ones I have are about that size. Mine were shipped with plywood between them and when I removed them, even though I was super careful they still slammed together and it took me 2 hours of extreme effort to get them apart again. Luckily they didn't break. Also I was late to meetings for days afterwards because working on the magnets in a vise caused my watch to stop.
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
            David, you are so right on that point. I used to use neos to charge my magnets and the ones I have are about that size. Mine were shipped with plywood between them and when I removed them, even though I was super careful they still slammed together and it took me 2 hours of extreme effort to get them apart again. Luckily they didn't break. Also I was late to meetings for days afterwards because working on the magnets in a vise caused my watch to stop.
            I don't even want to mess with them past a certain size! I have a hard enough time getting some of the smaller ones apart. I had like four 2" X 1/4" x 1/4" fly out of my hand and break in two because I got too close to another magnet. You can glue them back together with CA, but it's a pain.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

With this kind of pull force, wouldn't the pickup need to be further away from the strings? especially if used for a bass p/u?
              And, Gentlemen, if I am asking questions that don't belong on this forum, just tell me and I will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian L View Post
                With this kind of pull force, wouldn't the pickup need to be further away from the strings? especially if used for a bass p/u?
                And, Gentlemen, if I am asking questions that don't belong on this forum, just tell me and I will go away.
                They are used for charging the pickup magnets Brian not making them.

Comment

yah in my day job (biochemist) we use big rare earth magnets to pull down tiny ferromagnetic beads attached to cells or even individual protein molecules.

little iron beads need powerful magnets

and these guys are often snapping off their base and shattering...

96 well plate little Nd toroids

glued Nd bars - beware!

BIG single column

Comment

Originally posted by Brian L View Post
                    I use neos in bass pickups. What I don't do is use neos as the pole pieces. If you use them to charge up steel poles you are OK. Or use very small neos.

I adjust my pickups very close to the strings. I use pretty big neos, and even though the magnets are very strong, at the poles I read about 400G. So it's all about how you use them.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                      glued Nd bars - beware!
                      They are fine as long as they are attached to something. In my case, that's a steel bar, and sometimes another neo.

Comment

Working...
                      X