No announcement yet.

My Favorite Vintage P/U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted these in another thread, thought some may be interested. Half humbucker singles that can easily be made into P-90s with the addition of another bar mag.

Comment

I wonder what a tele neck pickup would look like if I subbed the top piece with a piece of pick guard, or a piece of Formica.
      I'm not equipped to do Ward's wood working?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        I wonder what a tele neck pickup would look like if I subbed the top piece with a piece of pick guard, or a piece of Formica.
        I'm not equipped to do Ward's wood working?
        T
        The easiest way to do that is to just glue the piece on top of the existing flatwork, drilling the holes accurately for the poles to go through is the hardest part. If you replace the top flatwork altogether you'll need something that will not crack when you drive the rods into it, that's one reason why my woody tops need to be as thick, so they don't break and also they look better IMO but for what you're talking about it's just simple to leave the forbon there and glue on a top piece. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          The easiest way to do that is to just glue the piece on top of the existing flatwork, drilling the holes accurately for the poles to go through is the hardest part. If you replace the top flatwork altogether you'll need something that will not crack when you drive the rods into it, that's one reason why my woody tops need to be as thick, so they don't break and also they look better IMO but for what you're talking about it's just simple to leave the forbon there and glue on a top piece. HTH.
          BTW, How much do you want to fix it?
          I might try that, I need to find something to glue on top.
          I guess I would do that after I pot the pickup.
          I Pot everything I do for others, It always bites me when I don't.
          Where did CopperTop go?
          I think he was on here earlier.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Just copy the the top piece of the flatwork with the router or template sander
            copy one of these ,there are the bigger top when no cover is used
            Mojo Pickup Parts » 2115381 Mojotone Tele Neck Flatwork Wide Top and Bottom Set (for .195'' dia. magnets)
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I posted these in another thread, thought some may be interested. Half humbucker singles that can easily be made into P-90s with the addition of another bar mag.
              They look like they have a creme filling ....lol

Just kidding...........looks interesting

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                Mojo Pickup Parts » 2115381 Mojotone Tele Neck Flatwork Wide Top and Bottom Set (for .195'' dia. magnets)
                Does anyone know what the thickness of Formica is, and Ward, None of that MM Crap?
                Just Kidding!
                T
                Terry

Comment

I wouldn't want to be holding such a small piece while trying to rout that. I make all my woody tops by hand, routers are great but don't care if it's your fingers they rout. Of course the top piece from Mojo would make a great template, it doesn't take long at all to hand cut and hand sand something like that. Even though you would have the template, it's still not that easy drilling the holes exactly. Trial n error until you come up with the best way.

Comment

They look like they have a creme filling ....lol

Just kidding...........looks interesting
                    When loaded into a white pickguard the white tape is better than black. I do all of these woodys with white tape. Keep the jibes coming, I'm used to it

Comment

Does anyone know what the thickness of Formica is, and Ward, None of that MM Crap?
                      Just Kidding!
                      T
                      What's MM?

Comment

I wouldn't want to be holding such a small piece while trying to rout that. I make all my woody tops by hand, routers are great but don't care if it's your fingers they rout. Of course the top piece from Mojo would make a great template, it doesn't take long at all to hand cut and hand sand something like that. Even though you would have the template, it's still not that easy drilling the holes exactly. Trial n error until you come up with the best way.
                        Actually I have a couple of nice sanders that I can do not a bad job of making the topper ,I seem to have more trouble getting the holes drilled ,always a little out of line

Comment

Actually I have a couple of nice sanders that I can do not a bad job of making the topper ,I seem to have more trouble getting the holes drilled ,always a little out of line
                          Yeah, I've got some cheap ass belt sander but it goes real slow. The holes, yes this is where you sort out the men from the boys alright.

Comment

I use a small drill press, and drill through another top piece, I use a small C clamp to hold everything.
                            You have to do lots of turning the drill on and off, and takes some time.
                            I have also drilled through humbucker slug bobbins.
                            I made a narrower neck pickup for a import strat by drilling through a 49.2 Humbucker bobbin.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I use a small drill press, and drill through another top piece, I use a small C clamp to hold everything.
                              You have to do lots of turning the drill on and off, and takes some time.
                              I have also drilled through humbucker slug bobbins.
                              I made a narrower neck pickup for a import strat by drilling through a 49.2 Humbucker bobbin.
                              T
                              What's MM?

Comment

What's MM?
                                millimeter!
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X