An Introduction and Some Beginner Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with a sidewinder pickup.

I hope no one minds that I hijacked this thread.

Terry - I am waiting for parts to show up from Mojo to wind my first single-coil sized dual-blade humbucker. I bought the bobbins that are half-round so when put together looks like a single bobbin. I'm looking forward to winding it. My customer really wants it HOT. So I'm also going to attempt to wind it with 44 awg. Never wound with 44 before. So this ought to be pretty interesting. Wish me luck....I think I'm going to need it.

This stacked humbucker design has me really intrigued. I would like to make one at some point but I still want to understand it. I want to know how it works and why it works. Anyone else want to chime in?
    On the Strat Blade buckers, you may want to check this thread if you haven't already.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27783/
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      On the Strat Blade buckers, you may want to check this thread if you haven't already.
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27783/
      T

Thanks! I did read through that thread. Good thread for sure.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with a sidewinder pickup.

I hope no one minds that I hijacked this thread.

Terry - I am waiting for parts to show up from Mojo to wind my first single-coil sized dual-blade humbucker. I bought the bobbins that are half-round so when put together looks like a single bobbin. I'm looking forward to winding it. My customer really wants it HOT. So I'm also going to attempt to wind it with 44 awg. Never wound with 44 before. So this ought to be pretty interesting. Wish me luck....I think I'm going to need it.

This stacked humbucker design has me really intrigued. I would like to make one at some point but I still want to understand it. I want to know how it works and why it works. Anyone else want to chime in?
        Nick:
        One other thing I noticed you mentioned a customer.
        The Half round bobbins are the way to go, the only thing?
        They may not go through the Pick Guard without opening up the holes.
        When I make them, I usually put them in a new pick guard.
        So It doesn't hurt anything if I have to open up the Holes, with a dremel Tool.
        I said that, so you can warn your customer, so there won't be any surprises.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Nick:
          One other thing I noticed you mentioned a customer.
          The Half round bobbins are the way to go, the only thing?
          They may not go through the Pick Guard without opening up the holes.
          When I make them, I usually put them in a new pick guard.
          So It doesn't hurt anything if I have to open up the Holes, with a dremel Tool.
          I said that, so you can warn your customer, so there won't be any surprises.
          T
          I appreciate the heads up. If I had gone with the other bobbins, do you happen to know if they fit easily through a standard Strat pickguard?

Comment

I appreciate the heads up. If I had gone with the other bobbins, do you happen to know if they fit easily through a standard Strat pickguard?
            Earlier the flat work was designed for the smaller bobbins, and smaller magnets.
            Now I think all that is available is the flatwork with the larger hole for the larger bobbins, and larger magnets.
            Another thing to consider is making your own blades.
            I tried different mild sheet metal steels.
            I prefer the straight blades.
            The curved blades, IMO increase the Mids.
            I recommend experimenting with the blades.

T
            Last edited by big_teee; 06-21-2012, 02:41 AM.
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X