No announcement yet.

Article - Return of the Vacuum Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That one was intended as a nightlight at 4 watts but is actually brighter than any nightlight suitable for allowing operations in the engine bay of the firehouse it was installed in. Chailet used carbon filaments and a mixture of gases that is still not known precisely. What is known is that their bright lights were used by air fields and a few community's street lights because of their long life and brightness but he never got the attention of the public, Edison was a promoter of first order. Same sort of thing happened with superior radio systems were around but Marconi had a bigger bankroll and squads of lawyers ready to squash any technology of the time. That held radio development back years, such that the main development arena for early radio was the non-commercial amateur radio sphere. History is not kind to the losers of court battles even if their contribution to the knowledge base was much more significant than the "house-hold-name".
    Marconi successfully edited books, particularly school books to eliminate mentions of prior applications or discoveries. Little did the US school kids know that while Marconi was building his promotion machine and struggling for minor improvements in his very crude system used in public demonstrations used to raise money, others around the world had furthered the art with original designs that were more sophisticated and effective. For example A.C. Popov, a researcher and professor of electricity here is St Petersburg had set up a fully functioning system used by the Imperial Navy in 1896 that was being used for emergency and rescue communications for ships in the Baltic Sea. It was used to great effectiveness in the rescue of a stranded ship, relaying 400 messages from sea to the Admiralty headquarters in St Petersburg. There were others in the US and Europe who were doing work about that time that was more advanced than Marconi's experiments. But now, history of course favors the winners of politics and courts. In any field where general knowledge is presented to kids in school it is safe to bet that the REAL story and history as actively suppressed by either courts or money using media.
    For that reason, I concluded long ago, if "everybody knows it" is the proof of an idea, there is a extremely unlikely possibility that it is the whole story or even the most relevant part of the story. We see history even in the last couple years completely rewritten to suit money interests, things we lived through have been redefined to general acceptance to mean just the opposite.
    At the same time the belief by many in grand conspiracies is just as likely to be false as "common knowledge".

Comment

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
      No but I have seen the Adolphe Chailet made light bulb in Livermore California that has been operating continuously for 111 years except for one week when the fire house it was installed in was being renovated. Edison won the marketing success however with bulbs that lasts dozens of hours instead.
      Well, they basically put a maximum lifespan of 1000 h to boost business. It took some years but eventually they pushed the lifespan down to 1000 h of a standard light-bulb. They then made big head lights claiming they now had a light bulb that would burn for 1000 h. Prior to this a standard light bulb had a lifespan 5 to 10 times longer.
      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Exactly. "I" could probably make a bulb that would last 1000 years! It wouldn't put out much useful light though. It's still pretty cool that a bulb someone probably bought frpm a hardware store has been in use for over a century.
        I remember some analysis indicating that incandescent lamp life varied inversely with the *fourteenth power* of applied voltage. May only be for a small area around the normal operating point, don't remember the caveats and disclaimers, if any.

Obviously, life depends on the output spectrum. If the filament is radiating at 4000K, it'll last a lot less than one operating at maybe a just-perceptible dull red at maybe 900-1000K, where essentially all the output's in the infrared.

Come to think of it, a *resistor* is a lamp in the infrared range. Pit vipers have no trouble tracking objects at 300K by their infrared.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Exactly. "I" could probably make a bulb that would last 1000 years! It wouldn't put out much useful light though. It's still pretty cool that a bulb someone probably bought frpm a hardware store has been in use for over a century.
          I remember some analysis indicating that incandescent lamp life varied inversely with the *fourteenth power* of applied voltage. May only be for a small area around the normal operating point, don't remember the caveats and disclaimers, if any.

Obviously, life depends on the output spectrum. If the filament is radiating at 4000K, it'll last a lot less than one operating at maybe a just-perceptible dull red at maybe 900-1000K, where essentially all the output's in the infrared.

Come to think of it, a *resistor* is a lamp in the infrared range. Pit vipers have no trouble tracking objects at 300K by their infrared.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Poor field mice can attest to that.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I am reading the writings of people who think like me - thank you omnipotent founder of the universe. (And you guys - I have really enjoyed your chat - no pun, no sarcasm - just relief that I am not alone.

Comment

When I first saw the thread title, it made me think. I see writings that predict the return of vacuum tubes, then articles that vinyl is making a comeback, or some other obsolete technology. It always looks to me like the roller coaster curve. When you ride a roller coaster, it lifts you up high then you roar down a slope, but at the bottom you then swing back upwards, then at the top of that second hill you drop back down, only to rise again, and again. But each time the roller coaster "makes a comeback", it doesn't get as high. At any given moment, it may be on the rise, but the average over time is steadily downward. Imagine we sold 100 million LPs, then it dropped to 100,000, but oh my it rebounds to 400,000, but a little later it is back down to 50,000, and a year later it rebounds to 75,000, then falls to 20,000, and so on until the ride ends.

In audio vacuum tubes never went away, but we went through peaks and valleys of their use numbers. But over time, each recovery is weaker than the last. Little bursts of activity on the inevitable road to decline.

Like a roller coaster.

We like our tube amps, I know I like mine. But times change. I see more and more people thinking their Line 6 or PV Vypyr are really cool. More and more solid state stuff. And we are talking rock and roll. Jazz cats and pedal steel players are not so devoted to tubes. Bass players are OK with solid state much of the time. And music changes. What if in five years we find the music industry is largely given over to rap or some sort of synthy based techno something. Them rap artists aren;t using tube amps. Even if we love them, the market may disappear around them like floppy discs, land line telephones, and CDs. Rock n roll may seem like forever, but nothing is endless.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Good analogy. And I agree, for the most part, with one exception. I do think rock will endure. Much of pop music is still rock. Rock is even making it's influence known on the "country" genre. As long as there are people having kids that survive into adolescence there will be rock. And the longest standing trend in the rock genre is the use of angry sounding electric guitars. I expect that to endure pretty well too. That doesn't mean it will always be done with tubes though. But if the genre and it's tendancy to use clipped guitar signals endures, I expect there will be cranks out there that want tubes. It should last as long as there are still countries using tubes for some commercial, industrial or military purpose. But as noted... Each rise is a little lower than before. I only hope that whatever emerges is equally cool. Though I can't imagine a day when, on a forum like this one, people are discussing the fine tone and flexibility of "vintage" digital processors.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Seriously? There have been Vintage Synth forums for years, and while analog synths have their fans, most have been digital for decades. Even the "vintage" ones.

DJs endure, but most of them now carry a laptop plugged into their amp/mixer. Things change. Rock may endure, but it may become for example more common to go on stage with each guy having a Pod or some USB interface. perhaps a wireless router, and a digital mix system. Look at the PV Revalver, software that lets you emulate various amps even to the point of changing the ciruitry. And they make little boxes for the guitar to plug into, One is an iPhone interface, the other just a USB interface. But in the software are amps and floor FX pedals and all manner of stuff. Any tubes there are virtual.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

To be sure, I don't think tubes will prevail as the popular design model for commercial amplification. I'm just sayin'... Rock isn't going anywhere... Guitars will likely continue to enjoy a featured role for as long as any of us live, at least... And as long as tubes are available for ANY reason there will be tube guitar amps available. Perhaps stricktly high end or "boutique". But available. If only because there is enough mojo momentum to keep cranks interested.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                      X