Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My uneven mismatched nightmare The Apprentice :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCrab View Post
    so my question is how did they wind pafs at around 8k and use 42awg and alnico5 mag.. seems pretty standard. I want less output than a BBP and places like stew mac have parson street humbuckers thst are low 8k with 42awg and u can use a2-a5. I am getting confused
    PAFs never used A5 mags; A2, A3 and A4 were, meaning whatever they could get the cheapest as long as it was written Alnico on the invoice were used.

They were wound anywhere from 6.8K to 9.2K. Not two p'ups were the same... hell, not even two coils were the same! Quality Control wasn't born yet, not even as a concept.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Doin the ol start from scratch.. I wound up 5000 screw pole and 5500 slug @ 8k with a5, 42awg and it is to treb ,, so from there I plan on unwinding the slug till I find some majik. It's going to be a long nite

Comment

Doin the ol start from scratch.. I wound up 5000 screw pole and 5500 slug @ 8k with a5, 42awg and it is to treb ,, so from there I plan on unwinding the slug till I find some majik. It's going to be a long nite
        Removing any wire ,will only make it brighter
        Add wire if you have too much treble
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          Removing any wire ,will only make it brighter
          Add wire if you have too much treble
          Wait,, so if I unwind the slug it will get brighter.. I thought adding to the slug made it brighter

Comment

Wait,, so if I unwind the slug it will get brighter.. I thought adding to the slug made it brighter
            Adding turns don't make a pickup brighter

Comment

He wants to remove the 500 extra winds he put on the slug coil to even up both coils thereby hopefully removing the extra treble achieved with the mismatch. Try matching both coils and wacking in an A2 or degauss the A5 considerably if you don't have an A2. You could add 500 winds to the screw coil n may be better off but nothing wrong with 5,000 per coil with A2 as a starting point, I like it myself not being a gain hoon, if it's still too trebly put another 500 on both coils, and, setting the pickup higher will even out the highs more so than having the pickup height lower but you probably know that already.

Comment

To the OP:

My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT" - Page 20 - My Les Paul Forums

Here's a custom p'up set wound for the winner of a pseudo-contest that happened at the the MLP forum some time ago.

In the picture is well-documented every coil made. Take this as a starting point and notice that the winder didn't favored the slug coil but the screw coil... food for thought.

HTH,
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  He wants to remove the 500 extra winds he put on the slug coil to even up both coils thereby hopefully removing the extra treble achieved with the mismatch. Try matching both coils and wacking in an A2 or degauss the A5 considerably if you don't have an A2. You could add 500 winds to the screw coil n may be better off but nothing wrong with 5,000 per coil with A2 as a starting point, I like it myself not being a gain hoon, if it's still too trebly put another 500 on both coils, and, setting the pickup higher will even out the highs more so than having the pickup height lower but you probably know that already.
                  Thanks Ward..I have that adht thing rockin I did a 5000 humer at 2% + -. and its to week but it gave me a good education, so today I am going to do the same with 5650 and see what happens...

Comment

so today I am going to do the same with 5650 and see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                      To the OP:

My Last PAF (CLONE) "SHOOT-OUT" - Page 20 - My Les Paul Forums

Here's a custom p'up set wound for the winner of a pseudo-contest that happened at the the MLP forum some time ago.

In the picture is well-documented every coil made. Take this as a starting point and notice that the winder didn't favored the slug coil but the screw coil... food for thought.

HTH,
                      Thanks LT.K..

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        The reason is that humbuckers tend to cancel out the upper harmonics, which gives a darker tone than single coils. Mismatching the coils lessens the cancelation.
                        If that is the reason, instead of changing the number of turns, you could try one of several possible mechanical solutions:

1. Raise the screws.
                        2. Modify the base plate so you can push the slugs down.
                        3. Put a shim under one of the coils.

These solutions might do a better job of keeping good hum cancellation.
                        You can sort of think of this as having one coil function as partly humbucker, partly dummy. That is, you keep the sensitivity to hum, but alter the sensitivity to the strings.

Also, you can combine a turns change with a core change in order to keep good cancellation. But this requires a lot of experimenting.

Also, it is important to remember that this harmonic cancelling thing applies primarily to the bass strings.

Comment

We're getting pretty exotic here for a basic humbucker.
                          Before You Go too far into reinventing the wheel, I recommend trying some different magnet types.
                          Like a A2, or Maybe A4.
                          Sometimes a good Magnet swapping is all they need to get the sound your looking for!
                          Also this is a very good time to gear up to Charge Bar Magnets with NEOs.
                          Every Pickup Winder needs to be able to Charge, discharge, & recharge Bar and Rod magnets.
                          Also you may want to try Your Humbucker in several different guitars.
                          Some Guitars just sound better, or smoother, or Harsher than others.
                          Good Luck,
                          Terry
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Before I wind up this time can someone explain what will happen if I wind the screw pole and slug 2% UNDER OR OVER on the bridge pickup. So far I do not like the pickups I wound with even coils..

Comment

Before I wind up this time can someone explain what will happen if I wind the screw pole and slug 2% UNDER OR OVER on the bridge pickup. So far I do not like the pickups I wound with even coils..
                              Why is it that you don't like from your even wound p'ups exactly?
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Yes tell us what you don't like about the pup
                                I don't think missmatch vs even coils is your problem (this don't make or break pups IMO)
                                I think tension is one of your problems

Comment

Working...
                                X