Counting turns on a mini-lathe winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting turns on a mini-lathe winder

In the next few months & going to make a new winder for doing my handwound stuff .
    I was going to use one of these cheap mini-lathe ,which I already own Mastercraft 12-in. Lathe with Chisel Set | Canadian Tire
    I'm just curious & (I haven't removed the cover on the end of the shaft to see if i can mount a disc for a sensor )
    how to rig a counter to this ?
    Has anybody used a similar lathes for a winder ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    In the next few months & going to make a new winder for doing my handwound stuff .
    I was going to use one of these cheap mini-lathe ,which I already own Mastercraft 12-in. Lathe with Chisel Set | Canadian Tire
    I'm just curious & (I haven't removed the cover on the end of the shaft to see if i can mount a disc for a sensor )
    I have no Answers, but do have some questions, you may be able to answer along the way.
    Can you get the lathe to turn the right direction(bobbin top going)?
    I was always afraid to buy one because of the rotation issue?
    That looks identical to the one Harbor Freight sells.
    Thanks,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I have no Answers, but do have some questions, you may be able to answer along the way.
      Can you get the lathe to turn the right direction(bobbin top going)?
      I was always afraid to buy one because of the rotation issue?
      That looks identical to the one Harbor Freight sells.
      Thanks,
      T
      Thanks T
      I'm sure it is the same as the Harbor freight
      It's just a popular brand Up here in the north
      & unless you can reverse or reverse wire the motor It wont turn in a opposite direction

Comment

If it's like the one on the photo you can just mount a reflective stripe that goes 1/2 way around the back of the faceplate and use a Fairchild IR sensor pointed at the stripe.
        If it's a DC motor you just need to flip the motor leads via a DPDT switch.

Comment

You could glue a magnet on the back of the faceplate, mount a reed switch on the drive housing, and run the lines from the reed switch to a dry contact counter such as the one below:

6300-0600-0000 - REDINGTON COUNTERS - COUNTER, 8-DIGIT LCD | Newark/element14 Canada

Very clean and easy setup.

Just another option.

No cheap shots on the price of the counter. It's not cheap, but it has a 7 or 8 year life cycle on the battery it uses assuming a 24/7 type usage schedule. And you already know the cheap guys us the old calculators that bounce.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
            You could glue a magnet on the back of the faceplate, mount a reed switch on the drive housing, and run the lines from the reed switch to a dry contact counter such as the one below:

6300-0600-0000 - REDINGTON COUNTERS - COUNTER, 8-DIGIT LCD | Newark/element14 Canada

Very clean and easy setup.

Just another option.

No cheap shots on the price of the counter. It's not cheap, but it has a 7 or 8 year life cycle on the battery it uses assuming a 24/7 type usage schedule. And you already know the cheap guys us the old calculators that bounce.
            Edit: Oops on the battery life statement. Just looked up the data sheet. . . 15+ years. Sorry about that.
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

I've seen that lathe on sale at CTC within the past few months at ~ the $99 mark as well.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                I've seen that lathe on sale at CTC within the past few months at ~ the $99 mark as well.
                Thanks guys
                I'm going to be looking for a little larger display on the counter ,The Cub3 on my old winder is just too tiny

Comment

Get yourself a "Preset" counter so that you can shut off your winder automatically at the end of the cycle.
                  12V 24V Preset Scale DIN Digital Counter Relay UP&Down | eBay
                  I would also urge you to pass on the reed switch variation in favor of a real sensor that you can control the dwell on and eliminate the bounce.
                  get a QRD 1113 and 1114 from Mouser.
                  Last edited by David King; 05-31-2012, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    Get yourself a "Preset" counter so that you can shut off your winder automatically at the end of the cycle.
                    12V 24V Preset Scale DIN Digital Counter Relay UP&Down | eBay
                    I would also urge you to pass on the reed switch variation in favor of a real sensor that you can control the dwell on and eliminate the bounce.
                    get a QRD 1113 and 1114 from Mouser.
                    Thanks

Comment

Great thread, I have been looking around for another winding machine and there are some in begginers section looking as well..

Comment

Cool .........lots of Ideas & It won't take long to build this winder
                        I would like to have a 5 digit counter ,but it guess it's not a must .
                        I see the 4 digit counters really cheap

Comment

I saw a winder made like this, and in fact, was going to make one myself. What the guy did was get a proximity switch and secure it to a bracket facing the faceplate. Then he glued a small neo magnet to the faceplate. Every time it turned the proximity switch would close and advance the counter.

Because I was going to build a winder like this, I ended up buying a bunch of proximity switches. I figured extras can't hurt and they were relatively cheap.

So if anyone is interested, I have six Balluff, model BES 516-383-S4-C switches. They look like this:

You can view the documents here:

http://balluff.com/Balluff/Website/T...S+516-383-S4-C

I'm going to keep one of them, but I'll sell them for what I paid for them, which is $25 each. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            I saw a winder made like this, and in fact, was going to make one myself. What the guy did was get a proximity switch and secure it to a bracket facing the faceplate. Then he glued a small neo magnet to the faceplate. Every time it turned the proximity switch would close and advance the counter.

Because I was going to build a winder like this, I ended up buying a bunch of proximity switches. I figured extras can't hurt and they were relatively cheap.

So if anyone is interested, I have six Balluff, model BES 516-383-S4-C switches. They look like this:

You can view the documents here:

http://balluff.com/Balluff/Website/T...S+516-383-S4-C

I'm going to keep one of them, but I'll sell them for what I paid for them, which is $25 each. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.
                            That's what I useed on my old winder & it works great
                            I mounted mine through a L bracket facing a lexan disc that I machined & I used some aluminium tape for the sensor to detect
                            thanks .....I will keep the offer in mind

Comment

Working...
                            X