Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for open style humbucker bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for open style humbucker bobbins?

Can anybody please direct me to a source for open style HB bobbins (and base plate to match if necessary) like the one in this picture?
    I need a half dozen or so (49.2 or 50mm) for a split coil design. Only three of the six A5 poles used will be wound and charged.

I'll need to modify the bobbins so I can wind only half of the bobbin and the open style seems like it would much easier to modify than the standard type.
    Thanks
    Rob.

Sorry for the pic of the wound bobbins but I cant seem to figure out how to remove a pic after it's been uploaded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	open_Bobbins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	865430
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stratz; 05-30-2012, 02:12 AM.

methinks you need to do some research on pickup construction before jumping on into new designs. Covered and uncovered HBs use the same bobbins except in certain specialty designs, and they aren't intended for A5 rods - they use a ferrous material and a bar magnet. If you're only using half of the length, it would probably be far more practical to make some from scratch or have them made instead of trying to modify them.

Comment

Or just use plastic Strat bobbins that are correctly drilled for A5.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
        If you're only using half of the length, it would probably be far more practical to make some from scratch or have them made instead of trying to modify them.
        Methinks he wants to make a pickup that looks like something like a Duckbucker- but with 2 offset, half-length coils.
        Instead of using 2 full coils, he would saw out 3 "cylinders" from each bobbin, and wind the coil around the remaining 3.
        Or maybe not.
        I don't know if he'd have trouble drilling the tapped holes to accommodate A5 rods.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

methinks you need to ......
          I've been building pickups on and off for 40+ years. I'm pretty sure I know enough about pickup construction to know that humbucker bobbins aren't generally used for use with alnico pole pieces but this is not my design.

I also learned a long time ago not to ask "why" when somebody wants something built their way.
          I need to clone a pair of alnico rod humbuckers, that's all I need to know.

Once again, If anybody happens to know where I can find bobbins like the ones I posted in the above pics I'd be very grateful.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
            I don't know if he'd have trouble drilling the tapped holes to accommodate A5 rods.
            If I use a slug bobbin for both .187" A5 will work fine.

Comment

Here you go Sir
              STEWMAC.COM : Humbucker Bobbin Set
              Guitar Pickup Bobbins - Guitar Parts USA
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                Vintage PAF Butyrate Humbucker Slug Side Pickup Bobbin Black 49.2mm (1.94'')

Will these do...?
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

I did not include Mojo because of there high shipping prices..... Thats why I buy from them in bulk
                  Sorry I'm not sure if it is a little more reasonable shipping in the US
                  Humbucker
                  & baseplates
                  Baseplates
                  STEWMAC.COM : Humbucker Baseplate
                  Guitar Pickup Parts, Humbucker Baseplate, 50mm

Comment

I've been building pickups on and off for 40+ years. I'm pretty sure I know enough about pickup construction to know that humbucker bobbins aren't generally used for use with alnico pole pieces but this is not my design.

I also learned a long time ago not to ask "why" when somebody wants something built their way.

Once again, If anybody happens to know where I can find bobbins like the ones I posted in the above pics I'd be very grateful.
                    Thanks.
                    Where on earth does one get "closed style" bobbins, and what is the difference?

I never asked "why" you were building it as you were, nor do I see why it would be an inappropriate question for others to ask, especially if you're asking other people for help. Your original post was just a bit strange, like asking for a 5A drum head, or left handed drum sticks. I think people are just trying to be helpful.

Comment

I have hundreds of the Mojo style bobbins. I was hoping to find the type that are in the pic I posted with the more open centers. I guess they're not that easy to come by.

I just saw some for sale on line a few months ago but have no idea what I was looking for or where I was looking.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Where on earth does one get "closed style" bobbins, and what is the difference?

I never asked "why" you were building it as you were, nor do I see why it would be an inappropriate question for others to ask, especially if you're asking other people for help. Your original post was just a bit strange, like asking for a 5A drum head, or left handed drum sticks. I think people are just trying to be helpful.
                        I wrote "I also learned a long time ago not to ask "why" when somebody wants something built their way"
                        That wasn't directed towards you (read the post again) I was saying that no matter how crazy something may seem, if the customer has the design (in this case he actually has a working model) and enough cash then I don't ask questions or offer advice, as much as I may want to.

If it sounds like crap then his original sounds like crap... therefore, the customer likes the sound of crap.

Sorry if it seemed like I was saying you shouldn't question the design, that's how we learn. But this is one that I will build without any of my own input. The guy knows exactly what he wants and obviously likes the way it sounds because he wants two more built.

As for the bobbins, a bobbin like the one in the pic I posted is much thinner because of the way it's been molded and I'd have a much easier time seeing where I'm cutting compared to the Mojo/SM traditional style bobbins.

Comment

I have hundreds of the Mojo style bobbins. I was hoping to find the type that are in the pic I posted with the more open centers. I guess they're not that easy to come by.

I just saw some for sale on line a few months ago but have no idea what I was looking for or where I was looking.
                          Thanks.
                          All the bobbins in your pictures are Mojo's standard bobbins
                          Made by WSC overseas

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            All the bobbins in your pictures are Mojo's standard bobbins
                            Made by WSC overseas
                            Ah, thanks Copperhead!. The plastic bobbins that I have are at least 20 years old and they are the same closed style as the SM bobbins.
                            I finally got a good side view of the Mojo bobbin and that's what I need!.

For those that may be wondering what I am referring to as "open" style heres a pic of the Mojo open style and SM closed style.
                            I don't know what they are called or if they even have different names but there is a noticeable difference in the winding area.
                            Thanks again!

Open style

Closed style

Comment

AAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, okay. I thought you were talking about open covers and closed covers, thinking the bobbins themselves were constructed differently to use covers or not. I guess I jumped to that because I have had people ask me questions like that recently not realizing that the cover was really the only difference. My apologies!

Comment

Working...
                              X