Need Schematics for Easy to Build SS amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Schematics for Easy to Build SS amp

My friends and I are building an amp for a school project and we need a simple design for a solid state amp that does not include any tubes. Does anyone have some schematics for something like this?

Hi, welcome to the forum. Well, one good thing, by definition solid state amps don;t have tubes, though now and then someone throws one in there for good measure.

At what level are you and your friends and for what level class is this? Is the class about electronics or is the class about teamwork studies or something? Have you done anything electronic before or is this a first time?

There are a lot of very simple solid state amps out there. We tend to call them "practice amps" because they are smaller than stage amps. They are designed for playing in your room at less than deafening levels. The really basic ones are the things they throw in with a guitar and strap as a starter pack. Most amp makers have a small model or two.

I don't have schematics handy, but things like the Crate GX15 comes to mind.

Peavey as a company is VERY customer friendly, and if you contact customer service there, they will send you any schematic for their products if you ask. A small basic amp of theirs is the Rage (Also called the Blazer if it includes a reverb). The original 1987 model would be a great project for someone starting out. And it really is a cool little amp as those things go. They also made a slightly more complex one called the Audition Plus. Check those out.

Most basic amps use a small integrated circuit to drive the speakers - one from this list: TDA2030, TDA2040, or TDA2050. I recommend staying with that type until you are ready for more complicated projects. The preamps will generally use one or maybe two small integrated circuits called dual op amps. None of these things are expensive. And once you give us more information, we can help you find sources for everything.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There are lots of very simple mini-amps based on the LM386 chip. Noisy Cricket, Smokey, Ruby, Little Gem and so on.
      Beavis Audio Research
      (read the whole page carefully- you'll see schematics and links to other versions)

These run off a 9V battery, so the risk of electrocution and fire is as low as it gets.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thanks for the help! It's not for a specific class, it's for a senior project that I'm doing with my friends. We're not real experienced with electronics but these suggestions are a good starting point for us.
        Edit: We're trying one of the mini-amps for starters, thanks for the schematic, Steve Conner!

Comment

Take a look at this one - Elliot Sound Practices 100W Guitar Amp (MKII).
          100W Guitar Amplifier (Mk II)
          You can purchase a PCB from him for either or both the preamp and power amp, schematics are there if you want to jusrt have a look or use the preamp with a lower output power amp.
          Cheers,
          Ian

Comment

Working...
          X