Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Electro Harmonix hot tubes schematic. Anyone have this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Electro Harmonix hot tubes schematic. Anyone have this?

hey folks,

Anyone have the schematic to the original electro harmonics hot tubes from the 79 to 80 period?

Thanks

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    hey folks,

Anyone have the schematic to the original electro harmonics hot tubes from the 79 to 80 period?

Thanks
    Try this
    Attached Files

Comment

Note that it WILL run off a 9v battery. But the battery won't last you a long time. It won't fizzle out mid-gig, but it won't go for the months that it does in many other pedals.

Comment

Thanks Doctor,

By the way, how does this pedal sound compared to todays new pedals? I think Neal Schon used this on the Journey Infinity album.

Thanks

Slobrain

Comment

Great pedal, realistic tube sound, touch-sensitive, can be noisy.
          Snarling Dogs overdrives (Blue-Doo, Black Dog & Tweed-E-Dog) were just slightly modified Hot Tubes (voicing)

Comment

Most 4049-invertor-based overdrive pedals tend to enjoy a good reputation, and the HOt Tubes is no exception. Kleuck is absolutely correct in asserting that those Snarling Dogs pedals are basically a Hot Tubes in a small box without a transformer (see, I told ya they can work on a battery!).

The Way Huge Red Llama, itself derived from the Craig Anderton EPFM Tube Sound Fuzz, is another one, and so is the Blackstone MosFet Overdrive. The overdrive channel for many of the Laney solid-state amps is also based around a MosFet inverter.

Opinions may vary but I would describe the HT as having a nice gutteral "grunt". It also has a fairly hot output, which makes it suitable for pushing real tubes in a pleasing way.

Comment

Can someone please repost the schematic of the EH Hot Tubes

Thnx

Comment

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/images/4305.gif

The schematic shows a transformer-based power supply. Note that it WILL run just fine off a 9v battery. It just won't run for a very long time on one.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                  http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/images/4305.gif

The schematic shows a transformer-based power supply. Note that it WILL run just fine off a 9v battery. It just won't run for a very long time on one.
                  Thanks Mark! Much appreciated.

Comment

Mark, the attachment didn't work, probably needs resizing.
                    Here it is:
                    Attached Files
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks for that.

I am concerned that the schematic appears to stipulate a 4049BE chip and not UBE type. It has always been my understanding that unbuffered hex invertors are needed for such overdrives. I know that I have a UBE in mine and it works as intended. I have not tried a BE type. Heck, I don't even have one of those.

Comment

Looks like Electro Harmonix is now building the old version again in a smaller box, not sure how the sound stacks up to the old ones though...

Cheers

Comment

No reason to expect it would be any different. A 4558 and 4049UBE in 2013 is no different than one in 1979. On the other hand, Mike Matthews himself said that if you took any 4 consecutive Big Muffs off the line at that time, they would all sound different. Conceivably making these with SMD parts (like all the Nano series) will yield consistent tone.

The only reason to maybe expect a tiny difference is the power supply. As noted earlier, the original used an on-board power supply because the current drain on the battery was a little high-ish. It is possibly that the current available from the transformer, vs a slightly used battery, would yield a different transient response. On the other hand, how many of these puppies would NOT be externally powered these days?

Comment

Working...
                          X