Faith-Based Electronics (IMO Addendum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AND NOW FOR SOMETHING REALLY DIFFERENT:
    (no kidding), these funny old chaps at Neutrik, obviously boring Swiss Engineers, actually mounted a 4 way switch and 3 capacitors to one of their fine plugs and are offering the product commercially.
    And it works!!!
    Of course, being Engineers and no Merlin The Magician disciples, they used 3 real modern and small caps, SMD size (sacrilege !!!) and the even SHOW the effect, instead of babbling endlessly.
    The proof of the pudding:

And *please* do not tell me that there are Jensen, Solen, Russian, NOS PIO caps in there, sinply there's no space available.
    And, besides, maybe that's why this one *does* work
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      ... mounted a 4 way switch and 3 capacitors to one of their fine plugs and are offering the product commercially.
      As I'm sure you know, these things have been around forever (although maybe not in such miniaturized form).
      Here's another: 12-way, variable cutoff, resonant peak, passive low-pass tone control (prototype). - YouTube

-rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Yes, sure, you are right.
        What I loved was the miniaturization and the ergonomic concept.
        In a way, like all that BRAUN stuff: yes, they are basically standard razors, bread toasters, whatever ... but what an elegant design !!!
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• Hello,
          The (50's New Old Stock string) was mentioned as a selling point in an add for single coil pickups. Is anyone else familiar with this hype used to make everything seem absolutely vintage in every respect. I questioned it immediately myself, I was aware of the fact that cotton string would more than likely rot in that time frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
            Hello,
            The (50's New Old Stock string) was mentioned as a selling point in an add for single coil pickups. Is anyone else familiar with this hype used to make everything seem absolutely vintage in every respect. I questioned it immediately myself, I was aware of the fact that cotton string would more than likely rot in that time frame.
            Darn......I guess I was trolling & hoping for a bite ,with the dollar store comment....
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
              The (50's New Old Stock string) was mentioned as a selling point in an add for single coil pickups.
              Thanks for clearing that up.
              I considered asking if your original query was a gag, but thought that might sound rude.
              -rb
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING REALLY DIFFERENT:
                (no kidding), these funny old chaps at Neutrik, obviously boring Swiss Engineers, actually mounted a 4 way switch and 3 capacitors to one of their fine plugs and are offering the product commercially.
                And it works!!!
                Of course, being Engineers and no Merlin The Magician disciples, they used 3 real modern and small caps, SMD size (sacrilege !!!) and the even SHOW the effect, instead of babbling endlessly.
                Neutrik - - timbrePLUG - NP2RX-TIMBRE

Not clear what this has to do with tonal differences between capacitor types.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                  Neutrik - - timbrePLUG - NP2RX-TIMBRE
                  Not clear what this has to do with tonal differences between capacitor types.
                  It doesn't. It has to do with loading the cable with different capacitor values.
                  -rb
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

And it works!!!
                    Of course it works. They have a few small value (pF range most likely) caps on a switch to simulate different cables. Probably small surface mount parts.

You can make your own and mount the thing in your guitar. Les Paul put one in the old LP Recording guitars. It's called a decade switch.

You can even buy an overpriced commercial version.

Stellartone - HOME
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Yes.
                      In fact this goes beyond just adding caps, they also use an inductor.
                      Look at the impedance curves, which clearly show a (wah type) peak at different selectable frequencies.
                      So it's different to what you can achieve with only the tone control.
                      How useful? Well, it depends on what the user wants.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	timbreplug-characteristics.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	825214
                      Taken from: The new timbrePLUG - Neutrik
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yes.
                        In fact this goes beyond just adding caps, they also use an inductor.
                        Look at the impedance curves, which clearly show a (wah type) peak at different selectable frequencies.
                        So it's different to what you can achieve with only the tone control.
                        How useful? Well, it depends on what the user wants.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18832[/ATTACH]
                        Taken from: The new timbrePLUG - Neutrik
                        No added inductor needed, Juan. The inductance is the from the pickup coil. It is only necessary to add capacitance to alter the resonant frequency. It is just as David wrote, and you could do the same thing with different length long cables.

It is different from the normal tone control, which achieves its effect over much of the pot range by altering the resistive load on the resonant circuit, adding the effect of a large capacitor near zero.

Comment

• I have faith that the Electronics Industry will keep doing whatever they can to keep profiting.

Now, if your inclined enough, then what ever you make to listen to your music will of course be the Best.
                          Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Working...
                          X