power transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power transformer?

Hey guys , I have a 15 watt power transformer with two 6.3v green wires with a green/yellow CT , two Red wires with a red/yellow CT. There are 4 more wires i'm unsure of and they are ,one black,one yellow,one blue and one green?The transformer has no markings or any seril #'s on it. anyway I can check to see what the other colored wires are?

Chuck.

I'll take a stab. I think you've identified the secondaries and their center taps... FWIW, you can either use it or balancing resistors to gnd, and/or float the heaters, but depending on the quality of the transformer one or the other will be better balanced than the other. The hv secondary is the red wires and it's r/y center tap.

The black one is likely one end of the primary, and (here begins conjecture) the yellow and blue are probably taps for 120/240 use or one is a bias tap but that would usually be a red/something. That can be identified with a vom, with the thing just sitting on the bench, just look for continuity and r between taps and make a list- it'll be clear as day. The green wire is probably a faraday shield and to be grounded. The continuity meter will work here. Sometimes you can actually see the green wire's termination, so perhaps some pics of said iron? Also, the way the wires come out may help. I want to again re-iterate this is pure guess, but your vom is a huge help here. Also, you could monkey with a little 12v ac PSU but that's pretty sketchy- but not as sketchy as just using the mains. Just start measuring from tap to tap.

Comment

There are some nice articles posted about identifying the characteristics of unknown transformers. I have not found the article I have in mind yet but if you go here
      identify an unknown transformer - Google Search
      You will find lots of hits to get you started.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown tranny 003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1,019.5 KB
ID:	825123Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown tranny 003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1,019.5 KB
ID:	825123Hey guys, thanks for the replies. here are some pics of the tranny. I pullen the cap off to view the wires. I'malmost sure of the 6.3v and it's ct and also the red and ct. It's the other green ,black,yellow and blue that I'm concerned with.

chuck.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X