Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Loud nonstop bassy humming noise in Peavey Studio Pro 112 amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Loud nonstop bassy humming noise in Peavey Studio Pro 112 amp.

So I was playing my guitar then suddenly the amp started making a loud humming noise. NONE of the knobs seem to lower the loud humming. The funny thing is that a few seconds afterwards, it started to smell funny. It wasn't a burnt smell but I could smell it. Apparently I was the only one that could smell it because my dad said that he couldn't smell anything. So yea... I'm not a guitar amp savvy but I'd like to know if there's a solution and more importantly WHAT IS the solution for the amp to work. Any help is appreciated.

[QUOTE=iam_alejandro;261968]WHAT IS the solution for the amp to work. QUOTE]
    The 'solution' is: someone who knows what they are doing must take a look at the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by iam_alejandro View Post
      So I was playing my guitar then suddenly the amp started making a loud humming noise. NONE of the knobs seem to lower the loud humming. The funny thing is that a few seconds afterwards, it started to smell funny. It wasn't a burnt smell but I could smell it. Apparently I was the only one that could smell it because my dad said that he couldn't smell anything. So yea... I'm not a guitar amp savvy but I'd like to know if there's a solution and more importantly WHAT IS the solution for the amp to work. Any help is appreciated.
      You have a blown transistor or diode, or other solid state part.
      (these parts contain smoke)
      When you let the smoke out of these parts, they will not work anymore.
      And so, time to go to the PV service center...
      Take it to Enzo, he fixes anything.

Comment

(these parts contain smoke)
        When you let the smoke out of these parts, they will not work anymore.
        Disregard this useless remark which will only confuse you.

And yes, you probably have a burnt power transistor, which is passing DC current to your speaker and will burn it too, unnecessarily.
        There are also other possibilities, but that one is the most likely.

1) disconnect that speaker *now* . It most certainly has wires with push-on terminals.
        Pull them and wrap each one separately with some electrical tape, so now that they "float" do not touch anything else.
        2) I *hope* you have not replaced the amplifier fuse with any random one you found there or even worse, wrapped it in tin foil or something equivalent; get the exact same size and value and use only that.
        Buy a couple just in case.
        Fuse value codes are printed in the back panel, close to the fuse holder.

What Peavey model is it? Post what the serial/model plate says; even better post a couple pictures.

Is it old/new? Did you buy it used?

Where do you live?

You will need to send it to an authorized Peavey service shop, or to an experienced electronics technician .
        *If* you get a technician friend who routinely repairs audio/TV/VCDs/CD/DVD players but not guitar amplifiers, we might guide him, otherwise it's too much for unexperienced people.
        Good luck.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Also list what city you live in so other members might be able to recommend some local shops that might be close to you. That might work if you live in big city and others will definitely have some ideas where you can take the amp.

Smoke in diodes? I read that somewhere... hmmmmmmm....??? What post was that?
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Hi, welcome

It sure sounds like your power amp has blown up, fancy words for some transistors failing

And what JMF said, disconnect your speaker NOW. You describe the classic DC on speaker symptom, the speaker cone moves one dfirection and stays there. Yes? That will melt your speaker after not long.

Go to the main Peavey web site, and under SUPPORT you will find a dealer/service locator feature. They have service centers everywhere. Here in mid Michigan I;'d be happy to look at it.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X