Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a patent for the "Gold Foil" pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a patent for the "Gold Foil" pickups?

I'm analyzing a friend's DE Armond Diamond-Grille Gold Foil pickup, and so went patent-hunting by searching the forum and googling more widely. What I've found are 2,455,046 and 2,455,567; while interesting, these are not quite on point. Does anybody know of other patents?

What I have gleaned is that this Gold Foil is a singlecoil with ~8,000 turns of #44 wire wound on a plastic-magnet core, with steel baseplate and chrome-plated brass cover.

The recent Teisco thread had some DeArmond data as well. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13178/

The gold foil (actually chrome colored) is in fact an insulator, which surprised me. I had thought it would be a very thin but conductive metal coating, like aluminized mylar shielding in cables, to act as an electrostatic shield, but this does not appear to be the case. Only decoration, it seems. I don't recall people complaining that they were noisy, though.

I don't think any of those DeArmond/Rowe simple pickups had patents, they were just too simple. The gold foil version evolved out of the solid top chromed covered version that had an alnico magnet of the same dimensions inside it, they went to rubber probably because its alot cheaper and easily machined to size. I make a repro of the solid top type used on alot of Kay guitars, 44 formvar, fun tones.
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
      I don't think any of those DeArmond/Rowe simple pickups had patents, they were just too simple. The gold foil version evolved out of the solid top chromed covered version that had an alnico magnet of the same dimensions inside it, they went to rubber probably because its a lot cheaper and easily machined to size.
      Could well be.

I make a repro of the solid top type used on alot of Kay guitars, 44 formvar, fun tones.
      Formvar. The pickup I've looked at was rewound, apparently with #44 solderon. I'm guessing that the original was Formvar.

Could you expound on fun tones?

Comment

I love those old DeArmond-Rowe pickups. They have a great single coil tone without sounding like a Fender.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I made a set of single coils that are basically half a humbucker, they don't sound like a strat either but still real nice and when you get sick of the tone you can just add another bar mag n make em P-90s.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
            I don't think any of those DeArmond/Rowe simple pickups had patents, they were just too simple. The gold foil version evolved out of the solid top chromed covered version that had an alnico magnet of the same dimensions inside it, they went to rubber probably because its a lot cheaper and easily machined to size.
            Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
            Could well be.
            Dearmond very likely went to rubber magnets so they could use adjustable polepieces. Hard to drill holes in Alnico... cost might have been a factor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
              Dearmond very likely went to rubber magnets so they could use adjustable polepieces. Hard to drill holes in Alnico... cost might have been a factor as well.
              Did the poles pass through the magnet? I wouldn't think that would be the case. If you do that you will lose your magnetic strength at the top of the pole because the bottom of the magnet is the opposite pole.

I think they just used the rubber magnets because it was something new, and you can cut them to shape. You can't easily cut a hard ferrite magnet either.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

some versions did have poles passing through the magnet- i dont think they cared if it was functional or not or if it was detrimental as long as they still got signal.

Comment

The threaded poles go a ways into the magnet but not all the way. The rubber is threaded.

Comment

The threaded poles go a ways into the magnet but not all the way. The rubber is threaded.
                    That's how the sample I have is done.

Comment

That's how the sample I have is done.

Duplicated because of a race in the 28-second min delay between posts.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                        some versions did have poles passing through the magnet- i dont think they cared if it was functional or not or if it was detrimental as long as they still got signal.
                        Wow, that's weird.

Comment

i couldnt remember if they went all the way through or just most of the way through - so how much magnetic strength would you get with maybe 1/16 thick rubberised magnet under the poles? virtually nil. most of the transfer must be coming from the sides of the holes, besides the magnets are .45 wide and the poles are only maybe 3/16 max so you still have magnet throwing more than the pole under each string. i am saying its not working like a typical magnet under the pole piece pickup, i would bet it was a marketing driven decision

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                            i would bet it was a marketing driven decision
                            Yep, like the adjustable poles on the PAF.

Comment

Working...
                            X