Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'74 Deluxe Reverb vs. Dr Z Carmen Ghia- Best Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '74 Deluxe Reverb vs. Dr Z Carmen Ghia- Best Value?

Ok, I have a dilemma regarding which of these two amps to choose. I currently own a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1x12, but I have somebody who is interested in it, and willing to give up a '74 Deluxe Reverb. The Ghia is in great condition, with new JJs and NOS 5751 and 5V4 recto. Speaker is WGS ET-65, which isnt perfect but sounds pretty decent.

The Deluxe Reverb on the other hand....its kind of a mess. Its been modified fairly heavily. Judging by the pictures he has shown me, the list of issues includes, but not limited to:

- Modded for 6L6s
    - Ext. speaker jack has been replaced with a control(probably master volume)
    - Blue replacment indicator lamp
    - Extra hole drilled in faceplate right between ' Deluxe Reverb' lettering
    - Grill cloth is very worn and has significant tear in lower right corner
    - Speaker replaced with Jensen RI ( that he claimed 'original' lol)

There could be more issues, but this is what I able to pull from a few pictures of the exterior. Ive requested pictures of the chassis and details on tubes, electronics, and footswitch. I told him I would only consider the trade if he included $300 along with the DR. Ive owned several silverface Fenders, a DRRI, and Ive built several Tweed style amps(Pro, Deluxe, Super), and I have in general a deep appreciation for Fender amps. I also like the Ghia, which gives me those hot, fat country tones ala Brad Paisley. Im always interested in new gear, especially if it means trading up for something potentially more valuable. If I had the DR, I would restore it myself with original style components. Would this be a worthy trade?

I like DRs, one of my favorites, but the deal killer you mentioned on the modded one is the hole drilled in the front panel. You can get BF style panels that might hide it, but then it's not stock. Unless I could personally inspect it and see how good or bad the mods were done I'd pass. If you like the Ghia, keep it and save up for a nicer DR, even a DRRI. (just my .02 worth)
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
    X