Replacement PT for a JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement PT for a JCM800

Hi, where from should I buy a replacement PT for a JCM800 2203?

I need decent quality and price. I read Heyboer are very good but I can't find a supplier for this PT.

Thanks,

Andrei

You may be able to find a drake on ebay but you can get a replacement from either Antique or CE distribution or from Korg U.S.A. Those will drop right in and the holes will match up. Not sure about a Heyboar or Mercury but they would be higher quality trannys. I have my doubts (IMO) as to the differences in sound quality from a higher grade transformer or it's overall performance.
    KB

Comment

Thanks for the reply Amp kat but the antique electronics replacement transformer that I put in this amp 3 months ago just died.

I'm looking for a better replacement. I read Heyboer are very good quality and good price so I was wondering where do you guys buy them from?
      I did find a Weber PT at a good price but don't know anything about them.

Please help!

Andrei

Comment

I would ask myself why if I had to replace one already, and the replacement went bad...why two have gone bad in such a short period?

Did you replace the original one just to replace it trying to get better sound, or WAS it bad?

If it was bad, and the Antiques one went bad, are you sure it's not something taking them out, instead of just thinking they are poor quality? Would a better quality one be more likely to survive whatever might be taking those out, or would you just be spending more money on the next fried PT...only to have to do it again?

Have you inspected (or had inspected) the amp for possible causes of failure?

I just brought this up because there is no indication of why it was changed in the first place, and what you have done to diagnose things.
        If you have already checked everything out, and are fairly certain something else isn't the problem, then that's good. I wasn't doubting your knowledge or experience...just bringing up an obvious observation that I think most people would wonder about.

Brad1

Comment

Hi, yes I did check the amp.

I opened another thread about the cause of the transformer fail
          http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ead.php?t=2909

Doesn't anybody know of a source for Heyboer PT's?

Comment

You can try Bruce at Mission Amps as I believe he is a distributor for Heyboer but I also have to agree with everything Brad said in the above post. Even though the masters in that thread diagnosed it as being bad there was nothing that actually pinpointed what was taking it out. You have a power problem and you need to find it because putting a more expensive tranny in it isn't going to keep it from blowing if there is a problem. Your just going to spend some more money on another tranny. You most likely have a short somewhere that's taking it out. Most likely place is in the primary side as it will fry quicker than on the secondary side but it could be anywhere.
            Last edited by Amp Kat; 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM.
            KB

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei_T View Post
              Thanks for the reply Amp kat but the antique electronics replacement transformer that I put in this amp 3 months ago just died.

I'm looking for a better replacement. I read Heyboer are very good quality and good price so I was wondering where do you guys buy them from?
              I did find a Weber PT at a good price but don't know anything about them.

Please help!

Andrei
              I think if you have blown two of the AES power trannys, you'll blow the Chinese made Weber PT in short order.
              AES uses a VERY good transformer winder from the Midwest of the USA and they are actually quite good... like the rest of us, something is wrong with the amp or the way you are using it.
              A Heyboer or Lenco JCM800 PT will still cost you around $120 shipped anywhere in the CONTI USA.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

I'd also look for intermittant loss of continuity between the secondary winding and the output jack. Or the user has a bad speaker cord, or worse yet, uses a guitar cord.

It is always a good idea to know WHY something fails, especially when it does so repeatedly. Otherwise we just keep throwing parts at the amp.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Bruce, where can I get one from? do you have them?

Comment

Have you tried contacting Heyboer directly and asking for their distributors?

AL

Comment

Originally posted by AL30 View Post
                      Have you tried contacting Heyboer directly and asking for their distributors?

AL
                      Yes, but they did not answer yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei_T View Post
                        Yes, but they did not answer yet.
                        Just checked my bulk mail folder. They answered and directed me to mojo.

Thanks to all replies.

Andrei

Comment

Working...
                        X