72 Fender Bassman Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Fender Bassman Ten

So I've read all about mods to make a Bassman Ten more guitar friendly but what about for bass?

Yeah I know these were never great bass amps but I'd like to tweak the Bass channel to get the most out the amp and maybe I'll gear the Studio channel more towards guitar.
    I'm ok with the volume I'm putting out. I've replaced all the electrolytic caps and changed out the tubes. I've replaced any burnt out resistors or those that were out of tolerance.

So what kind of circuit mods can be done to make the Bass channel more "bass" friendly? I find the channel seems to lack a clear punch. Replacing the OT wont be an option. Not going to take things that far.

I should mention I installed 22uf and 80uf caps in the doghouse when I went through the amp.
    Would higher values tighten things up or is there a ceiling?

Comment

You can use bigger caps in the B+ supply, but the bias filter cap needs to stay the same uF, it can be a higher voltage and temperature rating.
      However, the bias filter cap is the one to replace when it gets old.
      The result of using a bigger cap is stiffening the power supply, which might be good for bass. You can get a bit less hum I think by making the caps bigger.
      But overall, will there be a difference?...not a heck of one.
      Setting the bias hot / correctly will make an improvement in the sound, if it is not hot already.
      A different speaker, like EVM15B, in the recommended cabinet, would probably make a noticeable improvement.

Comment

Working...
      X