anyone else having problems with mws wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else having problems with mws wire

I bought a 5 lb spool about 6 months ago and it has been the shittiest wire ever. About half the spool was ok but mid way through the wire isnt smooth any more. Kinda wavy looking and now if i wind with my normal tension it breaks everytime. None of the other wire i have from other vendors breaks even if i go to the max tension. I need the tension to get the tone im wanting. Do they take wire back? Im irritated as all hell with it.

Originally posted by madialex View Post
    I bought a 5 lb spool about 6 months ago and it has been the shittiest wire ever. About half the spool was ok but mid way through the wire isnt smooth any more. Kinda wavy looking and now if i wind with my normal tension it breaks everytime. None of the other wire i have from other vendors breaks even if i go to the max tension. I need the tension to get the tone im wanting. Do they take wire back? Im irritated as all hell with it.
    I Have the exact same problem.
    My roll of Essex red 42 SPN (From MWS) is hanging up and breaking.
    About 1/3 of a six pound spool remains.
    It is hanging right in the middle of the spool.
    No apparent problem, but the damn thing breaks just the same.
    I have a P-Bass Bobbin half wound.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Does the wire have this wavy look going on, mine does and its like you said, breaking all the time.

Comment

Call up the wire manufacturer and ask them what's happening. They will at the very least have some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I have a P-Bass Bobbin half wound.
          Splice it. I do it from time to time and it works fine. Just use a small pieced of tinned hookup wire and wrap both ends around a few times and solder it. Test it from that point to there start lead. If it's good, tape it up and keep winding! If you don't get a reading head up the splice some more.

I generally stick with Elektrasola wire, and rarely have these snags, but it seems to every so often on the 10 lb rolls. After a while it stops. I never had that happen with the smaller rolls.
          Last edited by David Schwab; 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I spliced it.
            It broke 3 times pretty quick, then it cleaned up.
            All seems ok now.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Never had a problem with MWS wire, though it can get a bit wavy when the spool is almost empty. I did have an MWS spool with a bit of a nick in the rim once that was causing wire to hang up and break. Sanded it smooth, etc.

Comment

I still using a 10 lb spool that I bought from MWS last fall & no trouble so far
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

No issues here, and I'm on my second spool in the last month.

Comment

No significant problems here. Have seen the wavy thing once in a very great while and only very briefly. I also had a spool a while back that had a bad snag in the middle and I lost a sizable chunk of wire desnagging it. Other than that, smooth sailing...

Comment

Working...
                    X