Traynor YBA1a MkII Phase inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YBA1a MkII Phase inverter

My brother was looking into buying one of these amps. So I figured I should check the circuit out. I always knew they were very close to plexi's in their design but the one of the big differences I noticed was the grid reference resistors are only 47k, and that is not a typing mistake. In fact I've seen a few Traynors with low value resistors in this position.

My question is did they do this to intentionally help keep the PI from being overdriven? or am I missing some other reason here?

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h..._mkii_yba1.pdf

I've read that the change was an attempt to "smooth out" the distortion whatever that means. Some versions also have a 47K grid stopper on the PI. It's not unusual to find changes that appear to be from the factory, but do not match the schematic inside the amp. No big deal really, change it to the plexi values and see of you can tell the difference. Change that 1000pF in the tone stack.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Yeah I figured that was what they were going for. thanks for confirming that for me Loudthud

Comment

Working...
      X