X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, is that a 3 or 5 way switch?
    do you have the RWRP?
    I wonder on the P-J, if when both vols are up will it be hum canceling or not?
    I bet not.
    I guess if you turn the J down the double Ps would be hum canceling.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Nice, is that a 3 or 5 way switch?
      do you have the RWRP?
      I wonder on the P-J, if when both vols are up will it be hum canceling or not?
      I bet not.
      I guess if you turn the J down the double Ps would be hum canceling.
      T
      3 way wired like a tele mate and yes RWRP on the front pickup. Yes I agree, no hum cancel when P and J both on, turn off the J and no hum. My notes say Fender J wound with 42PE 9.500 turns. I'd be inclined myself if it was my bass to wire the P in parallel??? for cleaner tone. I've got a set of P bobbins here but never bothered winding them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
        3 way wired like a tele mate and yes RWRP on the front pickup. Yes I agree, no hum cancel when P and J both on, turn off the J and no hum. My notes say Fender J wound with 42PE 9.500 turns. I'd be inclined myself if it was my bass to wire the P in parallel??? for cleaner tone. I've got a set of P bobbins here but never bothered winding them up.
        This will be for someone else, I will ask and see what they want.
        Taking out Active EMGs, and going Passive is what they said they wanted.
        Looks like a Push pull setup might work.
        If you got enough switches, the options are endless.
        This is a Singing Lady's bass, and it is supposed to be a Headless Bass.
        The Lady Donna Sings, and plays bass, and the guy plays guitar.
        They own a local music store. I get all the pickup work, and all the wiring he doesn't want to fool with.
        Occasionally I get to figure out, what he gets tore up and can't fix.
        They want to send it home with me.
        Ought to be fun!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

This will be for someone else, I will ask and see what they want.
          Taking out Active EMGs, and going Passive is what they said they wanted.
          Looks like a Push pull setup might work.
          If you got enough switches, the options are endless.
          This is a Singing Lady's bass, and it is supposed to be a Headless Bass.
          The Lady Donna Sings, and plays bass, and the guy plays guitar.
          They own a local music store. I get all the pickup work, and all the wiring he doesn't want to fool with.
          Occasionally I get to figure out, what he gets tore up and can't fix.
          They want to send it home with me.
          Ought to be fun!
          T
          Yes bro, it's always a blast when you can improve someone's tone which is what it's all about hopefully. I get to do stuff for others on a very occasional basis as I live in a one horse town. WHY OH WHY

Comment

Yes bro, it's always a blast when you can improve someone's tone which is what it's all about hopefully. I get to do stuff for others on a very occasional basis as I live in a one horse town. WHY OH WHY
            Where do you live?
            I live Near the I.
            google earth hot springs, ar - Google Maps
            Zoom out and you can tell where it is in the states.
            Terry

Comment

Where do you live?
              I live Near the I.
              google earth hot springs, ar - Google Maps
              Zoom out and you can tell where it is in the states.
              Braidwood NSW.

Comment

Braidwood NSW.
                So what is Braidwood NSW Known for.
                Here's a diagram for P/J with blender.
                Wiring Diagram
                What would that do different?
                You got all those fancy Strats.
                Have you built one with Blades yet?
                If not Your missing out.
                T
                Terry

Comment

So what is Braidwood NSW Known for.
                  Here's a diagram for P/J with blender.
                  Wiring Diagram
                  What would that do different?
                  You got all those fancy Strats.
                  Have you built one with Blades yet?
                  If not Your missing out.
                  T
                  Well the blend pot with switch must do something I just can't get my head around right now, just the switching part kills either pickup, one on the other off but the pot might be connected to the switch? I dunno but that has to be how it works. But then how do you have both on? I'd need to have it here n check it out with the DMM.
                  Braidwood, who cares mate, I'm a blown in n wish I could blow right back out but I can't. I fear this is the last stop.
                  Never made a blade, you mean the humbucker blade in S/C size? Or single coil blade?

Comment

Well the blend pot with switch must do something I just can't get my head around right now, just the switching part kills either pickup, one on the other off but the pot might be connected to the switch? I dunno but that has to be how it works. But then how do you have both on? I'd need to have it here n check it out with the DMM.
                    Braidwood, who cares mate, I'm a blown in n wish I could blow right back out but I can't. I fear this is the last stop.
                    Never made a blade, you mean the humbucker blade in S/C size? Or single coil blade?

The Single coil in the middle is optional.
                    I like it that way.
                    The blades are dead quiet and they can be made to sound like single coils, pretty close.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try one out I spose. I made a stacked set years ago, I didn't put a steel plate in between the coils, I used another top flatwork, the things are dead quiet, sound like singles but have about 2/3 the output of a stock single, I always wondered if the plate would have upper the output? but they are great in every other aspect and still look like singles. One day I'll redo em with a plate n see.

Comment

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try one out I spose. I made a stacked set years ago, I didn't put a steel plate in between the coils, I used another top flatwork, the things are dead quiet, sound like singles but have about 2/3 the output of a stock single, I always wondered if the plate would have upper the output? but they are great in every other aspect and still look like singles. One day I'll redo em with a plate n see.
                        If you are ordering wire from mojo get some of the blade parts.
                        They are real cheap.
                        On the Blender Pot, It's just a double wiper Pot, No switch.
                        When You turn it one way it directs to Neck, when you turn the other it directs to bridge, with a master volume.
                        I guess in the middle it is going to both pickups.
                        I don't know how that would effect the P-Bucker.
                        I don't have much bass experience.
                        Been doing more lately.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

It looks like the bass I will be reworking is a Hohner b2b Headless.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I like the idea of this thread. Today I didn't make any pickups at all. I have been working on a custom guitar similar to a stratocaster. Four coats of nitro on the body and headstock today. It is an unfinished alder body from WD. I am doing it in transparent red. I'm up to the 14th coat so far. The neck is a Mighty Mite with ebony fingerboard and compound radius, but I'm making the headstock on it match the body. To me there's not much point in making my own necks. This guitar will have my custom single coils in the bridge and neck positions, and a new design single coil sized two blade humbucker in the middle. I haven't seen that setup yet. I am experimenting. My idea is to use a push-pull pot on the tone control to switch the middle humbucker. In the normal position, the humbucker will be split, like a regular strat. But when pulled it will be the humbucker, like a superstrat. I am thinking that the difference between having the humbucker in the middle versus the bridge won't be that significant versus a superstrat. Any comments would be welcomed.
                            www.sonnywalton.com
                            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                              I like the idea of this thread. Today I didn't make any pickups at all. I have been working on a custom guitar similar to a stratocaster. Four coats of nitro on the body and headstock today. It is an unfinished alder body from WD. I am doing it in transparent red. I'm up to the 14th coat so far. The neck is a Mighty Mite with ebony fingerboard and compound radius, but I'm making the headstock on it match the body. To me there's not much point in making my own necks. This guitar will have my custom single coils in the bridge and neck positions, and a new design single coil sized two blade humbucker in the middle. I haven't seen that setup yet. I am experimenting. My idea is to use a push-pull pot on the tone control to switch the middle humbucker. In the normal position, the humbucker will be split, like a regular strat. But when pulled it will be the humbucker, like a superstrat. I am thinking that the difference between having the humbucker in the middle versus the bridge won't be that significant versus a superstrat. Any comments would be welcomed.
                              Sounds great!
                              Did you see my pick guard with the 2 blades and SC in the middle.
                              I have a mini DPDT switch that switches both blades to SC Tapped Mode.
                              I have it set where in SC Mode it is like a 3 SC guitar with RWRP.
                              In untapped mode you have 2 humbuckers and a single coil.
                              It has a tone I really like with the SC in the middle.
                              It Quacks Great in 2 & 4.
                              So welcome to the thread.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Nice to see someone else on the thread, this place is like a ghost town most o the time I reckon. 14 coats of nitro, you going for some kind o record, 10 is more than enough but hey, whatever paddles your oar. Today I tried to put my zebra woodys into a pickguard n put that on the guitar, I got as far as loading the guard, not even wired, it's just too stinkin cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X