This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Run Down, & Round Table-P/Us

I think we need a Thread that is not related to a specific problem or project.
    If you want to check in from time to time, and discuss whatever your working on.
    Have a pickup idea or pickup project to discuss, this could be a good thread to do it on.

Today I'm working on a set of Tele Pickups.
    I have the wax pot warming and fixing to pot the pickups.
    Shouldn't be too hard to get the wax hot, It is 107f in the shade here in the south.

What are you working on, or have to discuss?
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Err, well, it's 8am in Oz land, I just did my back in getting out of bed. Nothing much for me today oh and Diana from MWS ignored my email.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
      Err, well, it's 8am in Oz land, I just did my back in getting out of bed. Nothing much for me today oh and Diana from MWS ignored my email.
      That's not good on the no email.
      It's not 8am here, it is 17:15 PM Weds, and it is 108f in the shade, and a good solid 100f in my shop.
      I just threw 2 pickups in the wax.
      I may have to throw them in the Frig. to cool them off.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        That's not good on the no email.
        Oh so the bad back's no problem then.

Comment

Just got an email from Diana, they only ship using the expensive guys, fed ex, dhl, ups. So in the end I'll just spread the cheeks n take it from Mojo.

Comment

fun day. I'm working on speaker driven reverbs for some clients and playing a lot of guitar. It's a perfect 81 and sunny here. My neighbors don't seem to mind little 5 watters breaking up with the windows open.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
              Just got an email from Diana, they only ship using the expensive guys, fed ex, dhl, ups. So in the end I'll just spread the cheeks n take it from Mojo.
              The Mojo wire is way over priced.
              Did Diana give you any prices?
              If you can get by with SPN, or HPN, Remington has great prices, if you stay away from the small rolls.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Bump!
                Ward, sorry about the Back.
                Drink another cup of coffee!
                Did you get that pretty Gold Guitar all finished?
                T
                Terry

Comment

I find Plain enamel wire don't slip through the felt tensioner as smooth as poly & at times if even found the tension increases the more wire went through the felt ...WTF
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

The Mojo wire is way over priced.
                    Did Diana give you any prices?
                    If you can get by with SPN, or HPN, Remington has great prices, if you stay away from the small rolls.
                    T
                    28.51 a pound for the 42 HV, that's around $140, way cheaper than Mojo but I spose I should now ask for a shipping quote which they didn't supply, round n round we go.
                    Bump!
                    Ward, sorry about the Back.
                    Drink another cup of coffee!
                    Did you get that pretty Gold Guitar all finished?
                    T
                    I did, I'll post some pics, that thing's got a crazy b/eye neck.

Comment

Last edited by Ward; 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

How much do you really make on a guitar like that?
                        Is that a Parts caster, or are you making the body, neck, etc ?
                        I love that Guitar!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

How much do you really make on a guitar like that?
                          Is that a Parts caster, or are you making the body, neck, etc ?
                          I love that Guitar!
                          T
                          Thanks T, yeah some think it to be the pick of the litter lol.
                          I don't make any dough on them, they all go into the collection. I have 18 at the moment and don't really want any more but I've said that many times, it's like amp building, very addictive.
                          Usually I make the neck, bridge block and pickguard, pickups of course and do the spraying. I do make bodies sometimes but it's way easier and cheaper to buy the strat bodies from China, they are made by Eden, most are 2 piece alder, I have one swamp ash strat from Mighty Mite real light weight, the Peach Chiffon, that thing sounds killer, one Eden hard ash humbucker strat, an SG I made the neck and body out of Mahogany imported from Fiji, very satisfying result, and another strat out of the same mahogany which I shall post up when I finally get around to fitting the two zebra woody humbuckers ( mahogany/maple, looks great on clear lacquered mahog body )
                          The Edens get here and I spend a day or two reshaping the forearm and hip reliefs as they are not done well by the factory, also the neck pocket is routed too big, 1 1/4'' instead of 1 3/16'' so I have to fix that as well, then I always need to do routing, esp the bridge so it will swivel properly and where the switch goes coz I lessen the angle of the switch so I need to take out some wood for that.
                          If you think to just by a cheap Eden body and bolt stuff on it you'll run very foul, the bridge is in the wrong place as well ( 3 to 5mm out ) but nothing you can't fix with the router. There's a lot of work to make these bodies fit up right but they are so cheap and the wood is fine it's just one rare chance to keep a bit of dough for myself.
                          Once I've tuned up the body I do the spraying, I use acrylic lacquer coz that's what I was brought up on in the 70s and I'm sticking with it till they ban that like they have every thing on the planet that used to be fun. 2 pac is so forkin toxic but they don't ban that do they. So there you go, I'm gonna fit em all out with woody pickups over the coming months. You wanna see the SG? People must be getting sick of my BS by now?

Comment

Great Job Ward:
                            Killer Neck, and I love that shade of gold.
                            I have been asked to make a P-Bass/J-Bass Combo pickup set?
                            Anybody got any experience with P/J Bass sets?
                            I have done mainly rewinds of P, and J Bass sets.
                            Any input welcome.
                            The S.D. wiring shows 250k Pots.
                            Wiring Diagram
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Last edited by Ward; 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X