Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond AO-35 Carmen Ghia conversion question

Hi all, this is my first post here.

Recently finished this Ghia build from a Hammond amp rescued from the dump.
    After fixing a few silly mistakes (and begging for help on another forum!) I've finally got it working and everything appears in order.
    All the voltages correspond to the schematic closely, and the amp has a nice clean sound.

Trouble is, there's no overdrive to speak of, even cranked!
    It is also not as loud as I expected.

Have gone through the schematic several times, all the component values seem to be correct.
    I tried lifting the NFL and it didn't really help.
    I do have a 1uf cathode cap on V1 rather than the .68uf, it's all I had handy.
    And I have the V1b plate resistor bypassed with .001 uf, optional on the schem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carmen Ghia schematic-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	865494

Anyone willing to take a gander at the schematic and suggest me somewhere to troubleshoot?
    This is my first build and it's been very illuminating. Hope to get this sorted out and move on to playing music!!
    Thank you!

Did you measure the resistors before you installed them? Some people get confused by the color codes. How about the pots? Did you measure those?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

WOW.
      I had a 1k volume pot instead of 1m.
      Thank you loudthud!!
      The most fun part of this build has been laughing at my own mistakes!

Comment

I recently picked up an AO-35 and I've been looking to do the Carmen Ghia build. However, I'm not a pro in any facet with electronics. I've never built an amp before period. The only experience I have is with guitar electronics, simple PCB component replacements, and RC Cars.

I've got schematics for the AO-35 and the Carmen Ghia . But I guess what I'm really looking for is a parts list. So far I have the AO-35 and solder haha!

Nonetheless, I'd really like to get this project started as I've been tossing it around for a while. What all do I need exactly? And how much money can I expect to put into parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Steve, here is my parts list.
          I ended up building a new turret board and mounting it horizontal. All said and done maybe $75 in parts?
          Even with a careful layout, the chassis was cramped and tricky for a first build. I'd suggest using a larger Hammond box.
          Best of luck, it's a nice sounding amp!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Please ca you reload de list and the schematic...Regards

Comment

Working...
            X