Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

loud popping noise when engaging effects pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loud popping noise when engaging effects pedals?

Hey guys, I have a 2061x clone that I'm getting a loud popping noise when i engage any oy my effects pedals. Could it be that there is no shielded wire on the inputs? I didn't use any shielded wire because the amp is pretty quiet. Or is it something else I should be looking at?

Chuck.

A loud pop when switching something is nearly always a problem with different DC levels happening when the switch moves. Lack of shielding will make for hum, but generally not pop. I think you have DC on the input jack, or coming out of your pedals. Maybe a bad input cap, miswiring, lack of an input resistor to ground in the amp since all the pedals do it and presumably don't do it with other amps.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

You could take the 320 uF cap off the cathode of the first preamp tube, and change it to like .68 - 3uF
      The large cap on the cathode tends to want to amplify DC transients.
      BUT without the large cap 320uF, the amp won't have the same sensitivity, and will be less...
      AND also, you have to consider the cathodes are tied together for both sections, V1A, V1B of that preamp stage.
      It would probably be better to separate them, and use separate RC for 2 cathodes.

there is nothing wrong with a loud pop, it's normal. Especially with that input design.
      I don't think anything is wrong.
      You have a high gain amp, and the input is being abused by the switching process,
      break before make. no wonder there's a pop.
      if the switch in the fx pedal was make before break, you wouldn't have much of a pop.
      but unfortunately, the switches used in effects pedals are primitive, and don't place a lot of emphasis on quiet-ness.
      http://www.amparchives.com/album/Mar...assamp20W.html

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
        You could take the 320 uF cap off the cathode of the first preamp tube, and change it to like .68 - 3uF
        The large cap on the cathode tends to want to amplify DC transients.
        If the grid circuit is wired properly it shouldn't matter.

BUT without the large cap 320uF, the amp won't have the same sensitivity, and will be less...
        AND also, you have to consider the cathodes are tied together for both sections, V1A, V1B of that preamp stage.
        It would probably be better to separate them, and use separate RC for 2 cathodes.
        Is this WRT a general opinion or a way to reduce popping?

there is nothing wrong with a loud pop, it's normal. Especially with that input design.
        I don't think anything is wrong.
        What is it about that input design that makes pedal switch popping normal? If the input is wired correctly then it should be quiet independant of the pedal switching and that would isolate the problem to the pedal. If, however, there is only a pedal switching problem with that particular amp then I'm inclined to agree with R.G.

You have a high gain amp, and the input is being abused by the switching process,
        break before make. no wonder there's a pop.
        if the switch in the fx pedal was make before break, you wouldn't have much of a pop.
        but unfortunately, the switches used in effects pedals are primitive, and don't place a lot of emphasis on quiet-ness.
        Who say's? We don't even know what pedals are in use! I don't usually hear switch popping with anything but the Dunlop Cry Baby and maybe two or three other older designs. And those pedals do it with every amp. So it's the pedals. Nearly all other pedals are quiet switching IMHE. This, regardless of the fact that you've made conclusive statements about pedals the OP never identified!?!

Did you actually read R.G.'s post and decide he was wrong? How can you possibly tell the OP that this is "normal"? If there is voltage on the chassis, and this is also a possibility, there could even be a danger involved. I think you should re-read the OP's and R.G.'s post. You must have misread them the first time to have written your reply.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X