Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Slots in Forbon for Blades? (Psuedo-Charlie Christian Style Pickup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Slots in Forbon for Blades? (Psuedo-Charlie Christian Style Pickup)

I'm slowly chipping away at a Charlie Christian style pickup. In building the bobbin, I'm struggling with the best method to cut a slot in Forbon to accept the blade.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

How about making up a jig to hold the forbon & at the same time use a plunge router with end stops to cut the slot ,like making a mortise
    Plunge Routing Mortises
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

You need either a router or a mill. I used to use a small hand router and made a jig/track but if you even burp while doing it you get an uneven cut that looks bad. In a small mill you can use micro router bits and get a perfect cut every time.
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Don't know anything about that particular pickup, but is that something Mojo could Laser cut for us?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Don't know anything about that particular pickup, but is that something Mojo could Laser cut for us?
          T
          Yes.

They laser cut these for me:

A small mill would work great. I don't have one. I have access to a full size mill, but this was easier. I didn't have good results with a Dremel in a router base, and just didn't want to bother using a laminate trimmer or full size router.

They will also install rivets if you like.
          Last edited by David Schwab; 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	acrylic_flatwork.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	825343
            Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Mojo could Laser cut for us?
            T
            You may ask Tom at Mojo, that might be possible. (EDIT: David just answered this one while I was posting, so they do it ;-))

If not, I've never used the following service yet (I have it bookmarked for the day I need it), but obsiously they do custom parts from their on mention:
            Pickup Plates - Bobbin Plates | Gurian Instruments

However, though I've never had a CC pickup in hand, that's not only about forbon you would need to cut (speaking finishing plate here).
            On the other hand, once you've found/decided which material you use for flatwork finish, there are quite a few places now to have plastic or other materials laser cut for decent money. You may even send you're own material if needed.

I am planning new models of blades HB sized pups, here is a quick pic of a black acrylic laser cut plate (these are just bare parts stacked one onto another for a quick pic for this post).
            Just the edge of the acrylic might need a little bit of smoothing maybe (vey ligth sanding)

Hope this helps.

Yves.
            www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Originally posted by Yves View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19036[/ATTACH]
              If not, I've never used the following service yet (I have it bookmarked for the day I need it), but obsiously they do custom parts from their on mention:
              Pickup Plates - Bobbin Plates | Gurian Instruments
              ...Yves.
              They (Gurian) are not cheap. I contacted them last year about doing some work they have a high buy-in (MOQ).

Which bummed me out because they are like 20 minute drive from me, normally anyone making pickup parts is usually several states away or another country. When first heared about them I was stoked maybe keep the money in-town (best economic help one can do right now) but after comunicating with them I went elsewhere.
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Mojo has a setup fee that's not bad, and then the per piece price is pretty low, and gets lower when you get to 100 pieces.

I'm having three more pieces made by them soon.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

+1 for the mill. lots of fun uses

Comment

a machine shop in town has a cnc waterjet cutter. I get them to do base plates and trim rings for me, a trim ring costs about $3, a baseplate about $2. I'ts purely a function of machine time. You need a dxf file to drive the machine, I use DeltaCAD, a $39 CAD tool that is easy to use and has a dxf exporter function. CNC laser would be another good choice.
                    making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
                      a machine shop in town has a cnc waterjet cutter. I get them to do base plates and trim rings for me, a trim ring costs about $3, a baseplate about $2. I'ts purely a function of machine time. You need a dxf file to drive the machine, I use DeltaCAD, a $39 CAD tool that is easy to use and has a dxf exporter function. CNC laser would be another good choice.
                      What's it's name?
                      (and what town are we talking about?)
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                        What's it's name?
                        (and what town are we talking about?)
                        they are in Klamath Falls OR. they are either named Jetfab, or Apex Fabricating, they are in the middle of a name change and I can't remember which. try mikejetfab@yahoo.com to email him a dxf for a quote. their phone is 541-884-5241, but if they are busy (usually are) they aren't good about answering. Also, they need a pretty large sheet to cut from, as they have to put bricks on it to hold the material down in the water bath. I try to give them 12" X 24" blanks. proprietor's name is Mike.

Hey I'm about to wind my first tele pickups, do you have a wind recipe to share? I like the fender no casters, so that's old school I'm shooting for.

Also, cnc laser would really be better, (this waterjet can cut 4" of steel!) if you are near a metro of any size, there is bound to be a laser machining house there. I keep bugging them to get a laser, but the one they want can handle 4' X 8' sheets. Yowzah.
                        making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Ok thanks for that. Yes I'm in a metro area but with most of our local machine shops doing Boeing sub-contracting nobody wants to talk to you unless you drop 7 or 8 Benjamin's on the counter (first).
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
                            they are in Klamath Falls OR. they are either named Jetfab, or Apex Fabricating, they are in the middle of a name change and I can't remember which. try mikejetfab@yahoo.com to email him a dxf for a quote. their phone is 541-884-5241, but if they are busy (usually are) they aren't good about answering. Also, they need a pretty large sheet to cut from, as they have to put bricks on it to hold the material down in the water bath. I try to give them 12" X 24" blanks. proprietor's name is Mike.

Hey I'm about to wind my first tele pickups, do you have a wind recipe to share? I like the fender no casters, so that's old school I'm shooting for.

Also, cnc laser would really be better, (this waterjet can cut 4" of steel!) if you are near a metro of any size, there is bound to be a laser machining house there. I keep bugging them to get a laser, but the one they want can handle 4' X 8' sheets. Yowzah.
                            Don't know how good they all are, but there are some specs here.
                            Might give you some ideas.
                            "Get Started" Pickup Resources
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X