Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you say this light tweed or dark tweed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you say this light tweed or dark tweed?

Correction!! Brown Tweed versus light tweed. Sorry about that.

Looking to cover a modified V-Front cabinet. I like the look of this particular tweed. Would you say this is the light tweed or brown. Not sure when Fender used one of the other. Once I figure that out, I can try and find a source for the fabric.

Thanks. Welcome to Ron's Vintage

Last edited by olgoat; 07-02-2012, 04:44 AM.

I am not familiar with the description "light" vs "dark" tweed. However, I would describe the example in your posted photo as vintage style brown thread tweed with a heavy coat of amber shellack. This is in contrast to "reissue olive thread tweed." After covering, I apply a couple of coats of thinned shellack to get the look I want. It turns out very similar to the look in the photo you posted.

Comment

Tom. Thanks for correcting my nomenclature. I should have referred to it as brown tweed, not dark. Now that I have established myself as a "Tweed cretin" I can get on with it.

Any idea on sources for authentic looking Brown Tweed fabric would be much appreciated. Bruce at Mission had some old posts about selling some. Not sure if he still does. It would be great to be able to pay him back for his forum contributions with a purchase.

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
      I am not familiar with the description "light" vs "dark" tweed. However, I would describe the example in your posted photo as vintage style brown thread tweed with a heavy coat of amber shellack. This is in contrast to "reissue olive thread tweed." After covering, I apply a couple of coats of thinned shellack to get the look I want. It turns out very similar to the look in the photo you posted.

Comment

I have not needed to source tweed fabric for quite a few years so I don't have a recommendation of where to buy at the moment. I'd say that it would be best if any supplier you found would send you a sample. My last buy was describved as brown thread tweed with a light coating. I'll post additional info if I find a current source.

Comment

Thanks Tom. Wasn't putting it on you. Just putting it out there incase someone else had any ideas. Appreciate the correction.
          Tim
          Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          I have not needed to source tweed fabric for quite a few years so I don't have a recommendation of where to buy at the moment. I'd say that it would be best if any supplier you found would send you a sample. My last buy was describved as brown thread tweed with a light coating. I'll post additional info if I find a current source.

Comment

I only have less then 5 or 6 yards left of that 64" wide tweed... I keep around for emergencies.
            However, MOJO Musical Supply buys very large bolts of it and sells twill yardage.

Fender Style Tweed Brown Stripe Coated / 64'' W - Mojotone.com
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Bruce. Please disregard my email to you as this was the info I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Tim

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
              I only have less then 5 or 6 yards left of that 64" wide tweed... I keep around for emergencies.
              However, MOJO Musical Supply buys very large bolts of it and sells twill yardage.

Fender Style Tweed Brown Stripe Coated / 64'' W - Mojotone.com

Comment

Working...
              X