Simplest Humbucker Mod ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplest Humbucker Mod ever

So I was playing around with my Fender Deluxe 57 today trying to get it to sound tighter with my humbucker equipped guitars. I tried the 4.4uf cathode bypass caps with the .022 coupling caps and that didn't get me where I wanted. I tried a .0022 coupling cap on the first gain stage, still no luck. Frustrated with the results, I put everything back to stock. Then I started looking at the schematic and noticed the huge 25uf cathode bypass cap on the second gain stage. Being a Marshall guy at heart, I started wondering what a .68uf cap would sound like in that spot. So I put one in there, fired it up and, walla... instant mini Marshall Plexi. No more of that woofiness on the low notes at all. Single coils still sound great too. Couldn't be happier with this amp now!

I was wondering, after several days, are you still pleased with the mod? I am thinking along the lines of, does this make the circuit more versatile or perhaps more "pedal friendly" while still retaining most of what we love about the 5e3? Glen

Comment

It's very common to reduce any or all coupling and bypass caps on these amps. Most don't go as far as fractional uf's for bypass though. But most guys still want it to sound like a 5e3. You should have bought a plexi

Glad you like it. If it sounds good to you then it's good for (at least) you.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        It's very common to reduce any or all coupling and bypass caps on these amps. Most don't go as far as fractional uf's for bypass though. But most guys still want it to sound like a 5e3. You should have bought a plexi

Glad you like it. If it sounds good to you then it's good for (at least) you.
        I already own a 69 Plexi 50 watter. I wanted a low wattage amp for recording so I bought the Tweed Deluxe. It sounds awesome stock with single coils, but way too bassy with humbuckers. This mod reduces the bass mushiness without changing the overall tone better than anything else I tried. It still sounds like a 5E3, just less bassy.

I picked the 5E3 over all the other small amps out there because they sound the most like a Marshall, even in stock form.

And yes, I know a Marshall Plexi is just a copy of a 5F6 Fender Bassman. I have one of those too.

Comment

Originally posted by gsr View Post
          I was wondering, after several days, are you still pleased with the mod? I am thinking along the lines of, does this make the circuit more versatile or perhaps more "pedal friendly" while still retaining most of what we love about the 5e3? Glen
          I'm still pleased with it. It suits my guitars and the tone I'm going for great. It doesn't make the circuit more versatile. This versatility of this amp comes from tweaking the 2 volume knobs. The amp in stock form worked fine with all my pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by tweedtones View Post
            I picked the 5E3 over all the other small amps out there because they sound the most like a Marshall, even in stock form.
            Hi,
            Don't you mean "I picked the 5E3 over all the other small amps out there because Marshalls sound the most like a Fender 5F6, even in stock form."...

Just having some fun with you You have a 5F6, a Plexi and a 5E3, are you a doctor?? I envy your amp collection man!! I remember one of the Guitar Player editors stating "the most critical thing about music gear is one thing, resale, because quite simply, nearly all musicians are losers, including myself"......like I said, I envy your collection.....

Steve

Comment

Just wondering if you are using a 12AY7 or 12AX7 for the first preamp tube in your 5E3.

Steve Ahola
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
              X