Need Help Choosing A Tube based Pedal project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Choosing A Tube based Pedal project

Hi all. Second post, I got some help with my new amp last month.

I have been into hobby electronics for a long time, but am recently starting to build pedals.

I play only the bass guitar, and am mostly interested in pedals that would sound good with it.

I have a Fender Musicmaster with custom wiring/shielding and an Ampeg BA-110 (35W, 10").

The pedals I have built: clean preamp/booster, Bazz Fuss, and I'm putting the finishing touches on an Ampeg Scrambler clone.

My next project is going to be an Orange Squeezer Compressor, that I'm anticipating as a quick build.

OK, so my question is this: I don't know a lot about pedals - whats out there and what sounds they make, but I love the sound of old tube amps.

I was wondering if there is a pedal I can build or design with an actual tube inside, that will mellow and richen the tone, to be passed on to the amp. I'm very interested in any thoughts or recommendations. I know it won't turn a small amp into a big one, I'm just looking for a smooth sound to use other than my fuzzy distortions.

Also, if you want to throw out suggestions for your favorite bass pedals, they would be welcome

I cant say anything from experience with this pedal, but maybe something to check into:

The Persuader, Tube Drive Effects Pedal Kit | Antique Electronic Supply LLC
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

You might have stumbled upon this by now, but have you checked out the Valvecaster, by Beavis Audio? I remember seeing some posts by bass players using it, maybe with a few capacitor changes for frequency response. I built one for guitar - absolutely love it, especially if you are using solid-state amp.

Here's the Beavis Audio link: Beavis Audio Research

At the top of the page is a link to a discussion thread over at DIYStompboxes (great resource) that is now up to 150 pages! Lots of info, troubleshooting, and mods. It's quick, cheap, easy, and safe (low voltage, starved-plate, but still sounds nice with a 12au7). Definitely not "metal", but goes from clean boost to somewhat dirty overdrive depending on how you build it and set the gain. If you're driving a tube amp, it can really slap the preamp into some tasty overdrive like a tubescreamer would. It also works great in an effects loop to help "sweeten" the sound.

BTW, don't try to run this off of a 9V battery - use a 12VDC wall-wart (I recommend a 1A model just to make sure there isn't ripple from being overworked) with a LM317 regulator - there's details and schematics in the thread for this.
      Last edited by Zipslack; 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: Forgot something...

Comment

The Persuader kit is pretty cool for the $$. But, it is point to point based, not PC board based. The wiring it tight, so patience is required. If you are new to kits, it might not be the best starting place, but if you are very patient you might want to give it a look. It comes with a 12AX7, but the pedal sounds pretty decent with a 12AU7 also.
        [url]http://www.amplifiedparts.com[/url]

Comment

I forgot to mention this earlier, but tube-town has a DIY section with some nice pedals designed for low-voltage operation. The Banana Booster is based on the Valvecaster. I've read some good reviews for their stuff, and you can order kits. A lot of it is German, but there are English translations for many of the projects. They have one called the SugarBox specifically for bass guitar.

Tube-Town GmbH - Hot Stuff Cool Sounds

Comment

Are you wanting to explore some mini tube builds such as something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	img1828a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	825821

Click image for larger version

Name:	img1823p.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	825822

Comment

Here's a thread with a similar tube drive
              DIY Tube Overdrive - My Les Paul Forums
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Check out freestompboxes.org • Login
                pcb's are available, but there is a vero layout i submitted here also.
                I have built this & its a very nice OD for guitar, havent tried it on bass though.

Lots of other effects here that may be suitable.

Any particular effect you are after ..... overdive / distortion / compression ?

Comment

Working...
                X