Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Univox U45B...any way to increase the high end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univox U45B...any way to increase the high end?

Hello all. I'm new here and this is my first post.

I recently bought a Univox U45B...I love the amp--it's light, it overdrives nice and it's surprisingly quiet. My only issue is that it's kind of dark...there isn't much high end to it, even with the tone dimed. I may just look for another amp, but I was wondering if any of you knew of a way to mod the amp so that may the tone circuit would allow me to add more treble (excuse me if that's not the proper way to say that!). Also, the 6MB8 power tubes look to be the original ones from Japan...I'm wondering if I may need to get new ones? Would that help?

Thanks in advance all.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t9751/

Comment

Thanks Foxfire. I checked out that thread...I was hoping for something a bit more detailed, but that being said, there's a lot of info on that thread that I could use. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

Comment

yeah, i mean it's all pretty much in that thread, start by getting the amp up to date by doing or having someone do, a more or less a full cap job (all electrolytic caps as a minimum), replace any worn tubes along with any parts that have majorly drifted and rewire with a 3 prong cord/remove death cap (for safety). if that doesn't do it try replacing all the caps for fresh ones and consider swapping out the speaker assuming it's the original. personally i like to get vintage/old gear working to the best of my ability before i start to mod it...

Comment

Working...
        X