X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    OK: now it's July the 9th !!!!
    What should I expect?
    I mean, besides it being our (Argentine) Independence Day, of course.
    Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

By the way the links above are legit FBI, McAfee and Qualys. They used a URL shortener because they use those as a good excuse to gather stats on how many people clicked the link.
    Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
      ...Cinco de Mayo..

Comment

Still waiting ....
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Still waiting ....
          If your check came back green, there is nothing to wait for.
          The deal was if you had the virus, and came back red?
          Then when the FBI turned off the corrupt servers at midnight, you would have no service.
          I read that they turned them off so they can be reprogrammed, to cleanup the corrupt servers.
          So JM you Should be A-OK!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I saw that in the newspaper some time ago. I wasn;t about to have some web site I knew nothing about "check" my computer. But the story said the FBI was telling us to do this. So I simply went to fbi.gov and quickly found the reference to it, including a link. The link on the official US FBI web site was the same one in the newspaper article. A quick click and I came back OK. end of story. It was legitimate.

The story never said it was a link TO the FBI, just that the FBI recommended going there for the test. But verify is the word of the times, so go to the source rather than rely on hearsay.

Meanwhile the story was that chaos was possible. I tended to doubt it anyway, having lived through the Y2K end of the world scenarios 12 years ago. And sure enough, not much happened.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe the FBI was in cahoots with those websites that we used to check our IP redirection through DNS servers? Those malware servers were used to get tons and tons of money by collecting fake clicks on advert pages. I am not positive but I remember reading about the scheme of this advert clicking/linking malware server that generated fake clicks by infected users to funnel millions and millions of dollars. As I recall that was the server that they unplugged this week.

So, on dooms day millions and millions worldwide went and clicked these links... Hmmm? Did anyone make some money in ad-clicks this past week??? Just joking really but wouldn't that be funny if they were like "lets get some bonus money out of the machine before unplugging the sucker!" Hey maybe it was an FBI machine for all we really know and they wanted one last bang for the buck.

Well just trying to get some ideas for better Hollywood movies...
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                Maybe the FBI was in cahoots with those websites that we used to check our IP redirection through DNS servers? Those malware servers were used to get tons and tons of money by collecting fake clicks on advert pages. I am not positive but I remember reading about the scheme of this advert clicking/linking malware server that generated fake clicks by infected users to funnel millions and millions of dollars. As I recall that was the server that they unplugged this week.

So, on dooms day millions and millions worldwide went and clicked these links... Hmmm? Did anyone make some money in ad-clicks this past week??? Just joking really but wouldn't that be funny if they were like "lets get some bonus money out of the machine before unplugging the sucker!" Hey maybe it was an FBI machine for all we really know and they wanted one last bang for the buck.

Well just trying to get some ideas for better Hollywood movies...
                DrGonz, your about as Paranoid as Me!
                After All the Information Age is the Big Con!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  DrGonz, your about as Paranoid as Me!
                  After All the Information Age is the Big Con!
                  T
                  LOL!

Back about 10 years, there was a "virus" email going 'round that said "Check your Windows system folder for the existence of SOMEFILE.DLL if you find it, you are INFECTED - DELETE IT AT ONCE". This email circulated broadly here, don't know if in Northern Earth it did too.

Turns out the file was a legitimate Windows file and everyone who did that broke their installation. It was a "self-service virus", *you* did the damage.

Soon as I saw the news for this new virus and that I had to check pages A or B and let them scan my drives I thought to myself well the virus doesn't exist and obviously the infection is done when we "check" for the existence of the virus.

I wanted to contribute this, might be used at some part of the movie plot above
                  Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                    LOL!

Back about 10 years, there was a "virus" email going 'round that said "Check your Windows system folder for the existence of SOMEFILE.DLL if you find it, you are INFECTED - DELETE IT AT ONCE". This email circulated broadly here, don't know if in Northern Earth it did too.

Turns out the file was a legitimate Windows file and everyone who did that broke their installation. It was a "self-service virus", *you* did the damage.

Soon as I saw the news for this new virus and that I had to check pages A or B and let them scan my drives I thought to myself well the virus doesn't exist and obviously the infection is done when we "check" for the existence of the virus.

I wanted to contribute this, might be used at some part of the movie plot above
                    Now remove the dll file.
                    Now Blow the other foot off!
                    T
                    **jmaf, In the Movie, You get to dress up in a trench coat, and be James Bond!
                    Terry

Comment

Double Jim Beam. Not shaken OR stirred. The name is MAF. J MAF.
                      Valvulados

Comment

My Sys is 32 and she said that Hal is my new Nephew!! I've been looking for some CMOS since I am on this virtual vegan diet and all... Just got to love it when my Bin is full of Bits and Bots.
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                        X