Pickups Parameters measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups Parameters measurement

I've just bought an Extech in order to measure pickups parameters, so I'm now able to measure L-C-R and Q etc... (120Hz-series, correct?)
    What I'm still missing is the capability of measuring the peak of the freq. response, is such parameter (and the relevant curve) so important?
    Could someone advice a cheap system to trace freq. response curve for pickups?
    Thanks!!

Originally posted by Corcia View Post
    I've just bought an Extech in order to measure pickups parameters, so I'm now able to measure L-C-R and Q etc... (120Hz-series, correct?)
    What I'm still missing is the capability of measuring the peak of the freq. response, is such parameter (and the relevant curve) so important?
    Could someone advice a cheap system to trace freq. response curve for pickups?
    Thanks!!
    The Serial mode on the Extech is right, but the 1Khz setting is more useful.
    Here is a thread where it was explained to me by Joe Gwinn.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20691/

There are lots of discussions on the forum about measuring resonant peak, just use the search feature.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

You forgot that the Extech also measures AC resistance, this is a highly important thing to watch. Inductance measurements are not always logical, add some steel to a pickup and inductance goes DOWN. But, AC resistance goes up. The Syscomp Circuit Gear is a good device for measuring resonant peak and frequency response charts, but even though I have all that gear, these tools aren't some kind of be-all, end-all descriptors of what goes on in pickups. I rarely use these tools much anymore, I keep doing prototypes that the tools say are identical but my ears tell a different story. The tools are good for learning the physics of some of what goes on in coils with magnets and steel but in reality you can't really measure "tone." Get the tools and learn, but then go beyond it.....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
      X