Head pad felt matierial for Reel to reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head pad felt matierial for Reel to reel

Interesting that the last thread was about a reel to reel, too.

Anyway, does anyone know of a source for 'real' felt that can be used for head pressure pads? In this case it could be between 3/16" and 1/8" thick. I've found all kinds of synthetic materials that are too abrasive or might catch on a splice at the typical sewing-hobby type joints.

A million years ago we used to be able to get a square of this stuff from hobby shops & just cut up your own head pads or even purchase them pre-cut with adhesive backing for this specific purpose, but alas...not much call for that these days.

I see online where the head pads for cassettes are available with adhesive backing, but of course that's for 1/8" tape & wouldn't work here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...glen

Moleskin? Just a thought. It has adhesive backing and is readily available at drugstores. Not sure if the material is perfect for the application but worth checking out.

Edit: The kind for blisters
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Piano felts?

Got any old reel table clutch felts?

Go to a fabric store and ask them?

Are we talking like Echoplex pads? And would one of those work for you?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanx for the ideas.
        Yeah, the fabric stores & hobby stores only have the synthetic stuff which is too abrasive or just too thin. I actually have the felt spacers for the Wurlitzer key height adjustments...hadn't thought of that. The Moleskin might work, too.

the issue might be the felt washers might not be wide enough...but that opens some other sources. Enzo, what felts for the ecoplexes are you referring too & do you know of a source...thanx, glen

Comment

I wasn't thinking of the individual key shim felts really, I was thinking the strips of thick felt that run the length of keybeds to act as a downstop cushion. But any port in a storm. I used to have to replace glued in felts under some keybeds that the keys eventually cut through. I want to think PC88s, but I might be confused.

Well hell, I am stupid. COntact a piano repair guy, or piano store, ANy place that does maintenance/rebuild/service to pianos.

File:Maestro Echoplex EP-2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the wiki article, look at the photo. From the left end of the tape cart, coming out from under, see the phosphor-bronze springy strip angling out to the upper left, bent around the lid post, and with a felt pad at its end to keep the tape tight against the lower side of the roller. New spring strips with felt came with new tape carts. I don't know who might sell them nowdays. But at least that is what I was thinking of.

googling "piano felt" first thing up was this:
          Piano Action Cloth & Felt Products

second thing:
          Piano felt, cloth and leather action parts for all makes of pianos. Technician's tools.

Wool felt, not synthetic.

How about google wool felt: ooh, too many to mention

Don't know, but google "felt pads" and see various responses.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey Enzo,
            thanx for the suggestion of the Wurlitzer & acoustic pianos as a possible source for the felt. I realized that I still had some key felt bumper strips in my Roland stuff. The strip of bumper felt was just over 1/4" wide & just the right thickness a well as with adhesive backing...couldn't have been a better fit.

g

Comment

edited

Comment

Enzo is the one with bright ideas. Thank Enzo replying Mars Amp Repair.

Comment

Working...
                X