Pulled Coupling Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha ha
    I don't know why but it does, try it yourself. It works.
    I suppose it's adding resonance to the circuit, just a guess.
    If you notice, many later fender amps usually range between 47 and 70 uF.
    If you go above 70, it usually has "too much."

Comment

All,
      You will find little (if any) discussion of troubleshooting technique or correct electronic theory in the GW articles or books. The Trainwreck pages are an exception but GW didn't write that content. Given that, I'd assume that all the work on Bob's Bandmaster was done by parts replacement in shotgunning fashion. The result of that approach should be clear to all.
      This case, unfortunately, is FUBAR to the extreme.

Comment

And how much time does it actually take to 'test' a coupling cap?
        If it leaks, there is unwanted voltage on the post plate side.
        If you tap it & funny noises occur (or a bad signal is observed with a scope), it is microphonic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          All,
          You will find little (if any) discussion of troubleshooting technique or correct electronic theory in the GW articles or books. The Trainwreck pages are an exception but GW didn't write that content. Given that, I'd assume that all the work on Bob's Bandmaster was done by parts replacement in shotgunning fashion. The result of that approach should be clear to all.
          This case, unfortunately, is FUBAR to the extreme.
          ITS FUBARIFIC!

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
            ... He said my 64 had a different curcuit added since it was a transition model...
            The biggest transition has been your money to GW.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
              The biggest transition has been your money to GW.
              Transfubaration, I would wager.
              Did you say it would go back to the same tech again?

Seriously you guys, I would file a written complaint with the state bureau of electronics and appliance repair
              Here in CA, it's called BEAR
              I would ask BEAR to convey the message that you want a full refund, every penny.
              If you explain what events and charges have been made, in writing, step by step, you are sure to get a refund.
              He probably won't contest it.
              Here in CA, if you file a complaint against a professional license,
              ("if") he has a license(?) You are sure to get quick resolution.
              If he does not have a license, here in CA, he could go to jail.
              I am talking about a professional license, not a business license.
              He must show his qualifications, approved by California. or else.
              When you file this complaint, he will undoubtedly see the advantages of refunding your money.
              Rather than face losing the license, or prosecution for not having one in the first place.
              (I have a notion that this guy does not have a professional license)

File the complaint with BEAR tomorrow if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                If you tap it & funny noises occur (or a bad signal is observed with a scope), it is microphonic.
                GW doesn't use scopes,thats what he told me......I think he lets wanna be techs work for him for $7.00hr and then you keep going back like I did...again and again,again,again thinkd This Time it will be right..My old lady is so pissed at me

Comment

Bob,
                  Where are you located?
                  You can PM me that info if you don't want it published. (That is if you want to tell me at all.)
                  Tom

Comment

"GW doesn't use scopes,thats what he told me"
                    #!!(*^% NO WONDER! 16 f***ing hours? are you kidding me?
                    Get your money back now. file the complaint.
                    Then pay to have a real tech work on it. You will have your money back if you follow my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                      Pretty much all of these caps are microphonic when you tap on them.
                      Even new orange drops are plenty microphonic.

If it gets "really bad" then you replace it, but microphonic is expected and normal.

The microphonics is part of what gives an old amp the vintage sound.
                      If the caps were not microphonic, it would sound quite different.

Comment

He said because it was a "old amp" it was like a hotrod or old car. when you fix one thing something else fails.And when I did take it to a tech in OC he didn't do anything and got $235. out of me...I went back to him and stood over him for 2 days and he used a scope and could fix anything...Kept telling me it was the transformers and pulled all my NOS RCA tubes out and stuck old weak tube in I finally walked out,thought I would give GW one more shot ,but didn't think he would hit me with a $435.00 tab plus the $465.00 from before when he said it was ALL fixed..That was a Xmas present from my wife big surprise

Comment

He said because it was a "old amp" it was like a hotrod or old car. when you fix one thing something else fails.And when I did take it to a tech in OC he didn't do anything and got $235. out of me...I went back to him and stood over him for 2 days and he used a scope and could fix anything...Kept telling me it was the transformers and pulled all my NOS RCA tubes out and stuck old weak tube in I finally walked out,thought I would give GW one more shot ,but didn't think he would hit me with a $435.00 tab plus the $465.00 from before when he said it was ALL fixed..That was a Xmas present from my wife big surprise
                          If you file complaints against these people,
                          we will no longer call you dumbassbob.
                          Your new name will be:
                          bobbitch'n.

Comment

He said because it was a "old amp" it was like a hotrod or old car. when you fix one thing something else fails....
                            Absolute BS. For the amount you've spent every single component could have been replaced. Get the amp to a tech that knows what he's doing.
                            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                            - Yogi Berra

Comment

For that much, I'll BUILD you one from scratch, with gold plated knobs.

Comment

Wow!!! I just found this thread and I'm in utter disbelief. I really hope Bob takes ya'lls advice because this forum is great. He should complain and get a refund. GW sounds like a real snake in the grass and shouldn't be allowed to fix a sandwich much less anything else.
                                Much respect and admiration to all the excellent people that help out on this forum,Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X