Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never Mind...

Originally posted by rjb View Post
    Has some mad scientist ever tried winding a coil with two parallel wires, or twisted-pair magnet wire?
    Then both "antennas" would be in identical magnetic fields; if you wired the coils to perfectly cancel hum, they would also perfectly cancel the signal. Never mind.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      So how many guys are going to let you take a Router to the vintage Strat?
      T
      Dunno but I'd like to give this a try.

Comment

No my friend has to throw me a loop and ask for adjustable pole pieces in this stacked humbucker. So I guess, I have to buy those phenolic inserts that Mojo sells.

I have another question if someone can help me out. How tall can I make this pickup and have it still fit in a "standard" Strat single-coil pickup body route?

Comment

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
          No my friend has to throw me a loop and ask for adjustable pole pieces in this stacked humbucker. So I guess, I have to buy those phenolic inserts that Mojo sells.

I have another question if someone can help me out. How tall can I make this pickup and have it still fit in a "standard" Strat single-coil pickup body route?
          You have lost me on the adjustable poles.
          I was thinking you were making a stacked single coil using A2, or A5 tall magnets.
          So Now how are going to adjust them?
          If you use the mojo inserts, then Aren't you going to have to use Steel poles with magnets on the bottom?
          Please enlighten us?
          Somewhere through the process I would think the customer would need to stop changing things.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

You have lost me on the adjustable poles.
            I was thinking you were making a stacked single coil using A2, or A5 tall magnets.
            So Now how are going to adjust them?
            If you use the mojo inserts, then Aren't you going to have to use Steel poles with magnets on the bottom?
            Please enlighten us?
            Somewhere through the process I would think the customer would need to stop changing things.
            T
            That's what I thought I was making too Tee. I thought I was going to be using AlNiCo rods. But he wants the pole pieces to be adjustable. So, yes I'm going to have to put a couple of bar magnets on the bottom. He's not so much a customer as he is a buddy who wants me to wind him a pickup. So don't really mind that he's making changes. I actually enjoy the challenge since I'm still a newbie.

I'm still wondering about David's suggestion of starting with 8,000 turns per coil. Since I don't have a full sized Strat single-coil bobbin because I have to split it into two coils, 16,000 total turns seems like a lot to me. Does anyone else want to chime in on this? I was thinking that I would use 43 awg but I'm unsure at this point.

Comment

It'll sound way different with screws and bar mags, I'd talk him out of it myself.

Comment

First time winding ....& winding something that don't sound that great unless you put a lot of time into ,that might be a good thing ...If you started on real single coils first & train your ears on how sweet you can get that neck pickup to sound ,you might not get your stacks where you want them .
                I have made over a dozen stack strat pickups just as prototypes rails,alnico rods,ferrous rods
                With stack coils you are a little short on dimensions so you have to go with smaller wire ,keep in mind Yngwie's stacks were over 20k ,& so I have heard do have some strat tones in them
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  It'll sound way different with screws and bar mags, I'd talk him out of it myself.

Nah, that's okay I'd rather he experience it himself. Plus I'm curious too. I'm not saying you're wrong....just saying I want to hear it. But thanks for the input anyway.

Comment

If your pole screws have heads you need them longer than 3/4"
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

If your going to deviate from the vintage look anyway?
                      Why not build a mini blade pickup, they are real hum quiet, and sound great.
                      Either make them mild, or you can wind them Hot.
                      I know, that's what your buddy wants.
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

If your going to deviate from the vintage look anyway?
                        Why not build a mini blade pickup, they are real hum quiet, and sound great.
                        Either make them mild, or you can wind them Hot.
                        I know, that's what your buddy wants.
                        T
                        Exactly....that's what he wants.

I've made one mini dual blade humbucker and it sounded great. Nice and quiet as you have mentioned Tee.

Comment

True but probably useless information.

Some cheaper "Strat" pickups do use this configuration- steel poles (not screws) in a plastic bobbin, with 2 bar magnets on the bottom. That's what came stock in the Squier mini Strat I converted to a 5-string tenor guitar. I had to change the pole stagger to work with the 5ths-tuned string guages. After removing the hot glue that held the magnets in place, I was able to push the poles into place. I guess you could call that a "semi-adjustable" pickup.

Relating this to the problem at hand- If you can find or make a tall bobbin (instead of flatwork), you could still use magnetic poles & adjust them by pushing them up or down thru the bobbin. Yes, it would be a bit of a PITA- but it sounds like your friend is a bit of a PITA.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
                            So there is only one magnet polarity facing the strings....unlike a standard side-by-side humbucker where one coil is south and the other north?
                            Right, you have one pole facing the strings. This is why it sounds like a single coil.

The simplest way to make them is like this. This is the original Duncan stack.

Do I wire the two coils the same way a standard humbucker is wired, finish wire to finish wire if they're both wound in the same direction or finish of one to start of another if they're wound in opposite directions?
                            Yes, they are wired just like a humbucker with the two coils out of phase. If wind them in opposite directions, then wire them in phase.

David - Won't it be on the hot side if have 8000 turns per coil? I'm thinking I don't want a real hot pickup but maybe the design requires higher dc resistance to sound good? I don't know, just asking.
                            No it won't, because a lot of the signal is canceled out. Duncan has this wiring he calls "Power Boost" for his Tele stack:

Wiring Diagram

The switch puts the two coils back in phase. The result is a very hot and dark tone.

My Tele bridge stack was about 12k and was very bright and clean sounding.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                              If your pole screws have heads you need them longer than 3/4"
                              I figured as much copper. I'm thinking an inch will do it. So I found these. I like the whole hex drive look of DiMarzio pups.

Cup Point Socket Set Screws - Alloy Steel - Socket Set Screws | MSCDirect.com

Before you notice the price, I'm pretty sure I can get them for a lot cheaper.

Comment

Thanks David!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X