A de-soldering stations such as the DSX 80 Weller safe to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A de-soldering stations such as the DSX 80 Weller safe to use

I am still a novice at electronic repair and often find that I struggle with desoldering tasks. The braid(s) that I have used lately does not seem to work as efficiently as some I have had in the past. I have an an old T Series (mint green) Weller soldering station and normally use a tip rated at 700 degrees. Is this tip too cool or slow to work effectively with braid?

I have been admonished that the automatic desoldering stations tend to be "too" hot and send some A/C into the PC boards. I am fairly "heat sink" concious but would like to know how others feel regarding the usefulness of a dedicated desoldering station. I have also never tried the manual vaccum sucker because my mentor preaches "use the braid" "use the braid". Thoughts?

if the braid is oxidized, it either won't work or won't work well

Comment

I've been pretty happy with my Hakko 808 desoldering gun:

Amazon.com: Hakko Desoldering Kit, With 808 Gun, 120 VAC: Home Improvement

At less than $200 it's great bang for the buck.

All desoldering stations seem to be a bit on the high-maintenance side, requiring frequent cleaning and such, but are a great tool in the arsenal. Hand vacuum "solder suckers" have their place too, but beware of recoil smashing the tip into the work & bending things or ruining traces on a PCB. Sometimes braid is the best solution so I always have some of that too. I like choices...

In the end I suppose it's all about the particular needs of the situation.

Comment

IMHO, you do not need a dedicated de-soldering device like a Hakko or a Pace unless you have a shop environment. Liquid flux (use it) and braid work fine. Keep your tips clean with a wet sponge and use the appropriate tip. Also, the low temp de-solder kits like Chip Quick work well. Another trick is to simply cut the legs off of devices with a razor blade then de-solder the legs. This is especially helpful if the device is glued to the board. When I was on the bench, I found my most valuable tool was a something called a circuit viewer, which was just a large low power binocular microscope with a bright light. At home a big magnifying glass and a halogen lamp works well.

Comment

probably depends how much desoldering you do. (A vacuum desoldering tool such as the Hakko 808, etc.) might be useful for a DIY situation if the project is big (i.e. lots of joints to desolder such as a large mixer PCB or whatever) since braid can be time consuming in comparison.

Comment

I used to have a Hakko 707 that I never did get to be useful. Maybe I didn't know how to use and maintain it properly, but it was just a nightmare. Continuously clogged. I would think perhaps the temp was too low, so I'd turn it up. Then it would trash circuit traces.

I gave up and went back to the solder sucker and wick.
            I did find a roll of wick that was not properly fluxed, and wouldn't soak up anything. The manufacturer replaced it.
            For surface mount stuff, I have a hot air station that works amazingly well.

Comment

Working...
            X