Champion 600 isn't working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion 600 isn't working

I forgot to plug the speaker in my Champion 600. I turned it off and plugged it in and turned the amp on and there was no sound. Nothing looks burnt, no smoke, no caps exploded, just no sound. I tried a different 12AX7 and cable, but now it won't turn on. It was on for about two minutes before I saw that the speaker cable was unplugged. Do I need a new output transformer?

Replace the fuse inside with the CORRECT size.
    If it blows again it might be the output transformer, a bad 6V6, or a bad diode in the power supply.
    You can't run a tube amp without a speaker or load.

Comment

If you did not try to play the amp without a speaker hooked up, I would think that your output transformer is fine.
      The amp is relatively uncomplicated.
      I would suggest replacing the fuse with the correct rating (1 amp. slo blo), removing the tubes & powering it up.
      If it holds the fuse, install the 12AX7.
      Be aware of the pin arraignment.
      No bent over pins, observe the blank pin.
      If it holds the fuse, turn off the amp & install the power tube.
      If it then blows a fuse ,you may have a bad 6V6.
      You could try replacing the tube or better yet, take it to a tech.

Comment

Watch out, this amp can shock the crap out of you, even when it's unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          If you did not try to play the amp without a speaker hooked up
          I did try to play, I didn't know the speaker cable was unplugged.

Comment

How long was the amp played without the speaker attached?
            Transformers are relatively tough.
            It is not an instant destruction sort of thing.
            I would take it in to a tech.
            As stated, there are lethal voltages in a tube amp.
            The voltages should be checked out & the transformer should be checked before condemning it.

Comment

A new one is $170
              You can usually fix one for under $75. Don't throw it out.

There is one more thing that can cause a problem.
              There is "stick on" aluminum foil on the inside of the cabinet,
              sometimes this foil can peel off and touch the circuit board.
              Look for little pieces of foil that fell into the chassis...
              Last edited by soundguruman; 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

I'm going to take out the PCB and rewire it PTP with better parts. I just needed to know if I would need to replace the output transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by rg7120 View Post
                  I'm going to take out the PCB and rewire it PTP with better parts. I just needed to know if I would need to replace the output transformer.
                  Random replacement of parts is a bad idea. A very bad idea.
                  Take the amp to a tech and determine the failure first, before buying anything.
                  There is no way to determine this without looking at it, with test equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by rg7120 View Post
                    I just needed to know if I would need to replace the output transformer.
                    The only way to answer that question is to test the output transformer.

Comment

New fuse didn't help. Now what do I do?

Comment

Was the old fuse blown? Has the new fuse blown?

With the new fuse, when you turned on the power switch, did the power light even flicker a little?

When symptoms change that is a sign. At first it came on but made no sound. Now with a new fuse even, you turn it on and get nothing. That is a different problem than before. I have to consider that when you took it apart to look at the first problem, you may have knocked a wire off somewhere, so now some power circuit is not connected, or on the wrong pins. Look into that.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Take the tubes out, put in another fuse and try it again.
                          Does the fuse blow again?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            Was the old fuse blown? Has the new fuse blown?

With the new fuse, when you turned on the power switch, did the power light even flicker a little?

When symptoms change that is a sign. At first it came on but made no sound. Now with a new fuse even, you turn it on and get nothing. That is a different problem than before. I have to consider that when you took it apart to look at the first problem, you may have knocked a wire off somewhere, so now some power circuit is not connected, or on the wrong pins. Look into that.
                            Nothing happened when I turned on the switch. Could the switch be the problem?

I didn't take it apart until after it didn't turn on. I thought it was the cable when I didn't hear anything when the speaker was plugged in.

Comment

It could be related to the original problem or it coul dbe coincidence. Of course it could be the switch, but it could be many other things too. Start from scratch, is AC power getting through the cord into the chassis? Is there continuity through the primary of the power transformer? Are all mains wires in place? There is a main fuse, but there is also a heater fuse inside the amp, and if that blows you also get no pilot light, or operation.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X