Peavey Delta Blues popping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Delta Blues popping sound

My Delta Blues, very similar to the Classic 30, makes a popping sound through the speakers when I turn it on or off (two pops if I have the drive channel selected). It doesn't pop if I leave my guitar plugged in and turn it off, but it does pop if I unplug the guitar.
    It is stock, I tried swapping tubes to no avail.
    Any ideas?

Lots and lots and lots of amps pop at power on/off. it is not a defect, it is not a bad tube. it is the amplifier amplifying the spark in the power switch while there is still a charge in the power supply. And as other things charge and discharge, momentary flows of current result in the sound yuo hear.

If the guitar makes a difference, it is possible the input jack grounding contact is not 100%.

Also usually helps to turn the reverb down first, as it is another sensitive gain stage.

Except for the added trem, the Delta BLues and C30 are identical amps.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo,
      Thanks, but I don't have the same issue with my Classic 30. I'm going to trade for another amp and wanted to make sure this one was ok. It plays/sounds great, just that pop.

Comment

I've seen C-30's that pop worst than the DB ever thought it could. On Steve Ahola's site at the blueguitar mods .com he has a mod that uses a 2meg resistor from I believe the relay to ground and it stops all of the popping when switching channels and turning the amp off. Of course as Enzo pointed out if there is a bad jack ,connection or ect...., that's another story but between Steve and Enzo's C-30 mods those amps become some damn nice sounding little monsters and perform quite well after all the mods are complete. I just did a C-30 for a bud and he loves it. Of course we also took the Blue Marvel out and put a Blue Dog in it.
        KB

Comment

Working...
        X